Already prevented since 2012: Ter Stegen’s bitter DFB career


Has been prevented since 2012
Ter Stegen’s bitter DFB career

He remains the unlucky person with the prevented breakthrough in the national team: Marc-Andre ter Stegen has to wait for his first major tournament appearance. The goalkeeper of FC Barcelona missed the European Championship because of a knee operation.

Marc-André ter Stegen announced his end to the European Championship in five dry lines. “I’m sad,” wrote the FC Barcelona goalkeeper on Instagram and then let the cat out of the bag: “For the first time in many years I will support my country as a fan from home.” The reason is the troublesome right knee, the 29-year-old will be operated on again in Malmö on Thursday.

For Ter Stegen, his misery continues at major tournaments. Before the Euro 2012 he was removed from the provisional squad, he was not even nominated for the 2014 World Cup, and he was not used at the 2016 Euro and 2018 World Cup. In between he complained that he did not get a fair chance in the DFB team. It was an announcement that caused violent reactions. Especially from FC Bayern, especially from Uli Hoeneß. He rumbled in 2019: “He has absolutely no claim. There is no discussion that only Neuer is the one. We don’t put up with our players being harmed. Ter Stegen is a very good goalkeeper. But Manuel is much better, a lot more experienced. He can play as long as he is healthy. He will always be the best. “

Ter Stegen honestly admitted in an interview with Sport1 only a few days ago that “a limit” had been reached at that time, because “Uli Hoeneß’s choice of words was not the right one” and: “I can blame him for that and I found that in this one Not a funny moment. ” This year, too, he was only supposed to be number two behind Manuel Neuer, but now he’s not even going with them. “I hope that we will win the European Championship,” said Ter Stegen.

Joachim Löw reacted with understanding, but also disappointment. “We were in contact with Marc. He knows that we value him incredibly as a world-class goalkeeper,” said the national coach. Although the permanent competitor Neuer is still number one, “but especially the players at this highest level must and always want to compete with the best, in the game as well as in training”. The most important thing now is “that Marc becomes symptom-free again”.

“Everyone pays chances …”

In addition to Neuer, Kevin Trapp from Eintracht Frankfurt and Bernd Leno from Arsenal FC are likely to travel to the European Championship. Leno registered claims for an EM ticket on Monday. “I’ve played a good season in the Premier League and the Europa League and my gut feeling tells me it can work. And it’s absolutely clear: I’m dying to be there,” he told Sport1. Löw will announce his squad on Wednesday.

Ter Stegen had already undergone an operation on the patellar tendon in his right knee on August 18, 2020, four days after the 2: 8 debacle in the Champions League against Bayern Munich. He only played his first game of the season on November 7th, now he has to go under the knife again. “I made a decision with the club’s medical department to have an additional procedure,” he wrote. He will miss Barça’s last game of the season, the Catalans lost their last championship chance on Sunday.

Already on Monday, the ex-Gladbacher turned his attention to the time after the EM. He is looking forward to returning to the pitch “hopefully in front of the fans”, said Ter Stegen. Then the time could have come to finally conquer the regular place in the goal of the DFB-Elf. “Of course I’m already thinking about what will happen after the European Championships. Everyone thinks there is a chance that the cards will be reshuffled,” Ter Stegen recently said in an interview with Sport1. After all, Marc Andre ter Stegen has by no means ticked off the national team.

.