The room spray, essential oil diffusers and incense sticks, you can't take it anymore? Follow us to find out how you can create your own natural room fragrance.
Nothing is worse than smelling wet dog, fried fish or sewage at home. As cozy as your little cocoon is, an unpleasant smell can really ruin everything. It's a good thing, however, that there are "heavenly" room scents, which neutralize the stench.
A good room spray, and the toilets can be transformed into a temple of fragrant well-being. Essential oils ensure this. Not only do they smell delicious, but they can also dramatically improve the ambiance of any room.
There are many ready-to-use room fragrances on sale everywhere. However, they often contain chemicals, and the smell is rarely what you would expect. Too artificial, too strong, too expensive … So many reasons to prefer to compose your own home fragrance. Here you will find all the advice you need to prepare your home fragrance.
Read also: 10 tips for a home that smells good
Accessories for your home fragrance
If you want to create your own home fragrance, you must first ask yourself what this product is supposed to do: does it just have to give off a sweet fragrance so that your home smells good, or does it have to eliminate bad smells? Depending on this, there are different scents …
Scent sprays are the perfect solution for spraying smelly textiles or corners. There is also the solution of small scented sachets, often used in wardrobes. With the fragrance diffusers you can refresh the whole atmosphere of one room.
You will need the following ingredients to make your home fragrance:
- The best home remedy against bad odors is baking soda. This fine powder is not only used to help your pastries rise, it also neutralizes odors. Acid molecules, called esters, are often responsible for unpleasant odors. They are trapped by the baking soda.
- Highly concentrated alcohol has a disinfectant effect and kills bacteria responsible for odors. Did you know that in theaters, costumes are sometimes sprayed with vodka if you don't have time to wash them before the next performance? Alcohol is also the perfect solvent for perfumes.
- Essential oils provide the desired scent. When you buy it, make sure it is "naturally pure" or at least "natural". Because only what is declared as such does not contain any artificial additives.
- The herbs or flowers are suitable for cooling the atmosphere. Dried, you can enclose them in a small fabric bag and hang the scented bag like a homemade magic tree. You can also crush the dried plant parts in a mortar, mix them with baking soda and put them in a jar with a perforated lid.
- You will also need a suitable container. Beautiful bottles or vaporizers … it's up to you! Of course, it is more environmentally friendly to recycle and refill old vaporizers, mini-vases or used diffuser glasses.
See also: How to make your homemade deodorant? (video)
See as well :
Laundry: why does my laundry smell bad after being washed?
1. Home fragrance: make your own diffusers
Nothing means "well-being" better than a home fragrance diffuser. Who wouldn't immediately make the link between these little bottles with scented sticks and a pretty home-spa? The best part: by adding sticks, you can easily intensify the fragrance and adapt it to your preferences.
To make a fragrance diffuser or scent sticks yourself, you don't need a lot of materials: a small glass bottle with the narrowest opening possible (here at Amazon) * and rattan / bamboo sticks (here at Amazon) * or skewers that suck the perfume contained in the bottle. They should be about twice the height of the glass container.
A carrier or solvent is important for mixing liquid perfume with essential oils. For this you can use an odorless vegetable oil such as rapeseed oil or sunflower oil. The homemade air freshener works even better with alcohol (vodka, cereals and white rum are odorless). Alcohol diffuses the perfumes in the room by evaporation.
Advice : if you use a fragrance diffuser with alcohol, you should also add a little glycerin. For example, natural sugar alcohol is used for sweets or fondants and helps the components of the room fragrance to combine better. You can get glycerin in pharmacies or on the Internet (eg here on Amazon) *.
Recipes for home fragrance diffusers
For a bottle with a capacity of approximately 100 ml
Pour all the ingredients into the bottle and shake vigorously, covering the opening with your thumb. You can now put the sticks in the home fragrance diffuser and place it in the desired location. If the smell is too weak, just add more sticks or add perfume (essential oil of lavender, neroli, tea tree, ylang-ylang, see our list below) in the solution.
Advice : if you want to create your own alcohol-free room fragrance, fill the diffuser bottle with 90 ml of neutral oil instead.
2. Home fragrance: make your own product
With a homemade room spray, you can target unpleasant household odors. The good thing: you are not tied to a specific place, because the spray vaporizes wherever you want.
The basis of our indoor spray consists of baking soda, clay and vinegar – main ingredients in grandmother's recipes, whether for cleaning or for natural homemade cosmetics.
For your spray, you need:
Put all the ingredients in a spray bottle (here at Amazon) * and fill it two-thirds full with water. Then, shake everything vigorously, and your air freshener spray is ready. Everything can be stored for several weeks.
Advice : you can use the homemade atmosphere spray in any room of your home. Be careful with textiles or wooden furniture, however, as essential oils can leave traces.
Also read: The 23 Magical Powers You Didn't Know About White Vinegar
3. Home fragrance for DIY: create your own scent gel
The scented gel in a box is handy if you are looking for an outdoor room fragrance. In the decorative glass jar, you can take the air freshener to the balcony or terrace to let the scent of exotic fruits or herbs float around you while enjoying a glass of wine with friends.
Here we use gelatin as a solvent and as a perfume reserve, which is dissolved in water and enriched with essential oils. If you want the scent gel to have a nice color, you can add a few drops of food coloring (here at Amazon) * – for example green for fir oil, yellow for lemongrass or purple for lavender oil.
Unlike the home fragrance diffuser, the gelled version requires a container with a large opening, as the scent is diffused through the surface. The best part is the small storage jar (here on Amazon) * with a two-part lid through which the scents can be dispersed.
* affiliate links
Home fragrance gel recipe
For two glasses with a capacity of 120 ml
- about 20 g of gelatin powder (2 sachets)
- 120 ml hot water
- 120 ml of cold water
- 1 to 2 cc of essential oil
- optional: food coloring
1. Mix the gelatin with hot water in a bowl until the powder is dissolved. If you want, you can add a few drops of food coloring.
2. Now pour cold water over it.
3. Add the essential oil of your choice.
4. Distribute the mixture evenly over the two canning jars.
5. Place the mesh lid on top and let the scented gel cool for two hours so that it becomes firm. It is done !
Advice : To protect yourself from insects, you can enrich your scented outdoor gel with lemongrass oil or lemongrass oil.
See also: 10 super effective plants to repel mosquitoes
Essential oils to perfume the house
You are completely free to choose your herbal or scented essential oil. If you wish, you can combine several oils depending on the season. For example, if you mix cinnamon, cloves and apples or oranges, you can create a wonderful Christmas scent in your home.
Many essential oils have a healing effect, so we looked at how to improve mood with the right scent. See it as inspiration, in case you can't decide on a room scent.
Calming effect oils
- Neroli (orange blossom)
- Ylang ylang
Oils with invigorating effect
- Lemon balm
- Cedar wood
Oils with antibacterial effect
- Tea tree
- Pepper mint
Tip: Essential oils are very concentrated, so it only takes a few drops to set the mood. In your little container, tell yourself that there are a whole bunch of little plants, so you should use the pure scent oils sparingly.
Also read: How to make a homemade candle?
Idea for a room fragrance without essential oil
You can do without perfumes if you enjoy the aroma of fresh or dried fruit. During the Christmas season, you can dry oranges, lemons, or tangerines and use them with cinnamon sticks to make fragrant Advent wreaths or potpourris.
It's even faster if you prick tangerines or oranges out of cloves nicely and present them as table or window decoration. Arranged near a heating system, the fruits will give off an even stronger smell and perfume the whole room.