Do you want to create your own garden pond? We have detailed instructions with which you can conjure up your own paradise in no time at all.
Your garden should get a little update and beautified with a garden pond? Good choice, because whether small or large, the water sources offer a cozy ambience with a holiday feeling. But before you get to work, you have to make a decision: pool pond or liner pond? A prefabricated pond with a preformed pool is ideal for a size of up to 5 square meters. Anything larger than that should be solved with a liner pond. Incidentally, this can also be set up as a swimming pond, but must be structurally approved for a capacity of more than 7000 liters.
One thing is particularly important when deciding on a pond: if children are often out and about near the pond, a Fence or bars necessary, since the danger of drowning lurks even in shallow waters.
When do I create a garden pond?
The best time to create a garden pond is in spring, when the temperatures are in the two-digit range. This is not only because the The layer of earth can then be removed more easily and thus form a pit. Even if you want to create a liner pond, an outside temperature of at least 15 degrees is an advantage, as the foil can then be interpreted more easily because it is more flexible.
Where is the best place to create a garden pond?
The choice of the pond location depends on your own wishes. If you want birds and other animals to gather around the pond, then you should create the pond away from seating areas and the terrace. So you don’t scare away the skittish animals. If the pond is to be protected, put it on the terrace.
So that the water does not heat up too much, which would harm flora and fauna in the pond, instead seeks a spot in partial shade. conifers, cypress family and reed are also ideal for providing shade. There are also plants that you plant in the Deep Zone to naturally purify the water and automatically keep it cooler.
If you decide on a liner pond, make sure that no trees with shallow roots nearby are settled because they can drill through the film.
What is the ideal way to create a garden pond?
Step 1: Plan the size and layout
- For the liner pond, stake out the area where the pond will be created or use a hose to mark the outline.
- Find out from the supply provider whether there are lines in the ground in the area that would prevent the excavation.
Step 2: Excavate
- You start at the edge and work your way to the middle. The gradient must not exceed 30 degrees.
- The following zones should be considered when creating a garden pond: swamp area10 to 20cm – shallow water zone40 to 70cm – deep water zone120 to 150 cm
- Checked using a levelwhether the edge of the pond is level all over, otherwise flooding easily occurs when it rains.
- Removes all hard soil objects such as rocks and roots with one rake.
- Tip: In order to be able to correctly adhere to the different zones, the pit digs in the tier system.
Step 3: Fill and lay out the pit
- Fill the pit with sand.
- Measure the length and width of the pond and add 50 – 60 cm each to later calculate the foil fix and avoid dirt in the garden pond.
- Bring the pit with you pond fleece to protect the film from damage.
- Now lay out the pond liner and smooth it out.
- Then the edge with stones covered, which must be trampled to fix the film.
Step 4: Plant and fill
- Now equip the deep water zone with pond soil and pond gravel.
- A third of the pond is then filled with water.
- Instead of hard water you should rather use rainwater or that filter waterto avoid algae!
- After that, plants like fairy grass or thousand leaf planted in the deep water zone.
- In addition, the pond pumps and filters used if you want to install some.
- Now the pond is completely filled with water.
Step 5: Final Touches – The Shore
- First, the shore area is planted and designed, for example with canary grass and other stones.
- Once the shore is decorated, the fish can move in.
- Don’t you want to share the garden pond with fish, but him We recommend using it as a swimming pond filter systemswhich together with microorganisms ensure cleanliness – unlike a swimming pool with chlorine.
Step 1: Plan
- After you sign up pool have chosen, you mark its outline on the lawn.
- Checks whether there are lines or cables in the ground that could prevent excavation.
- The pit is then dug according to the shape and depth of the pool.
- You start where you want the pond to be deepest, then model the shallower zones.
- Removes stones and roots that are an obstacle.
Step 2: Filling
- Now fill the dug pit with a layer of sandwhich is trampled down and serves as a foundation.
- Now the basin is inserted into the pit and one-third filled with water – before you should check whether the pool is straight in the pit.
Step 3: Fill in imperfections
- Voids between the floor and pelvis will be in the next step filled with sand and filled with waterto avoid sagging later.
Step 4: Planting
- The pond can now be planted.
- bags and baskets can be used for planting in the pond. you will be filled with nutrient-poor soil and weighed down with sand after planting.
- Then the edge of the pond is well concealed and decorated with the previously dug grass.
- Finally, the entire pond is filled with water.
For the lighting in the pond pay attention to the Degree of protection IP – “Ingress Protection”. For the area outside the water, the choice should fall on lighting with the IP 67 classification. If the pond is to be illuminated from the inside, the value is 68.
Which plants are suitable?
Which plant is suitable for your pond depends on its size. If you have a small pond, you should avoid large plants. Especially when choosing water lilies we recommend paying attention to the specified growth size so as not to overload the garden pond. In general, pond plants are always recommended because they help keep the water clean and help algae growth.
Algae steal the oxygen, which can be dangerous for fish and plants in your garden pond. Therefore, you must always remove the proliferating algae and pay attention to the following when filling the pond:
- not to use hard water,
- not too much light and heat
Large-leaved plants that float on the surface of the water provide shade and are therefore ideal for avoiding algae. It is also important that you never used potting soil as a breeding ground when planting the pond, as it is a pure attractant for algae. If you choose plants, these should must be hardy how calamus, swan flower, Cyprus grassclover fern or frog spoon.
A notice: The plants in the pond must also be taken care of, which means pruning!
What do I have to consider when fishing?
If you want a garden pond with fish, you have to pay attention to the water quality. If the animals are to overwinter outside, the pond needs one Minimum depth of one meter. In order for the animals to feel comfortable in the garden pond, they need enough shadeto keep the oxygen level stable. A light wind is also good, which keeps the water moving and thus supplies the deeper zones with oxygen. A notice: If the animals are to overwinter in the pond, must always remain a few centimeters free of ice on the bank so that the gases forming in the water can escape.
The right care
The fallen leaves in autumn should be removed in springso that they do not start to rot at the bottom of the pond and create a bad smell. Regular hooking or fishing out algae and leaves with a nets helpto keep the pond permanently clean.
If you decide on a small prefabricated pond, this should thoroughly cleaned and emptied after a few years of use. This means that the sludge that has formed can be carefully removed and the pool can be refilled with fresh water. If necessary, you can also use a pond sludge suction device, which you can easily borrow from specialist retailers.
How much does it cost to build a garden pond?
The prices for creating a garden pond vary and depend heavily on the type you choose. Mini ponds can start at 230 euros. If you decide on a large pond with lots of plants, they can Prices in the three to four digit range land. Calculate everything before you put it onso that in the end you are not surprisingly missing something and the money is no longer enough.
Sources used: obi.de / schoener-wohnen.de / mein-schoener-garten.de