Novak Djokovic is currently unbeatable. The world number 1 defeated Hubert Hurkacz without trembling in two sets (6-3, 7-5), this Thursday during the quarter-finals of the ATP tournament in Dubai. In the next round, the Serb will face Daniil Medvedev, who beat Borna Coric in straight sets (6-3, 6-2). It is the 20th consecutive victory for the Serb, and his 15th in as many matches in 2023.
The world number 1, who returns to competition in Dubai a month after his crowning at the Australian Open, won in just 1h21 against the 11th player in the world. It took as much for Daniil Medvedev to dominate the Croatian Borna Coric (20th), again in two sets 6-3, 6-2.
“He is always favorite”
“When we play Novak, he is always the favourite. He is playing very well at the moment, it will be a big challenge”, commented the world number 7 after his success. Earlier in the day, Russian Andrey Rublev (6th) and German Alexander Zverev (16th) also joined the last four thanks to their respective victories against Dutchman Botic van de Zandschulp and Italian Lorenzo Sonego.
After dispatching the first set in just 36 minutes, “Djoko” had to fight to finally take the lead (6-5) after his 5th break point. He then concluded the meeting with a shutout, his fourth in the second set.
“I found the right rhythm on my serve in the second set, it helped me”, to face the good return of Hurkacz declared Djokovic, serene and “happy” with the way he played. On the sidelines of the Dubai tournament, Novak Djokovic also mentioned the next American deadlines in the spring.
Banned from Indian Wells?
The Serb said he would know the decision on whether or not to participate in Indian Wells (March 8-19) before the Masters 1000 draw on Monday. For this, he will have to be allowed to enter American territory without being vaccinated against Covid-19, while the authorities have extended until April the obligation for international visitors to have received the anti-Covid vaccine.
In the event of a ban, he assured that he would withdraw before the draw. Indian Wells tournament director Tommy Haas said in January that it would be “a shame” not to allow Djokovic to participate in the Indian Wells and then Miami tournaments (March 22-April 2).