In-article:

Duchess Catherine: That’s why she was once banned from Wimbledon

Duchess Catherine
That’s why she was once banned from Wimbledon

© Steven Paston – Pool / Getty Images

News about the British royals in the GALA ticker: Duchess Catherine had to stay at home in this Wimbledon final.

Royal News 2022 in the GALA ticker

July 4, 2022

Duchess Catherine missed Andy Murray’s Wimbledon win

Duchess Catherine, 40, is a regular at Wimbledon as patron of the All England Lawn Tennis Club, but one year she was prevented from going to the championships – missing out on Andy Murray, 35,’s first Wimbledon title.

In 2013, Kate was dying to be at Wimbledon to cheer on the British tennis player in the final, but despite pleas and begging, the Duchess had to stay home. The reason: “I was very pregnant with George, so I couldn’t come,” Kate said in 2017 in the BBC documentary “Our Wimbledon” in conversation with sports presenter Sue Barker. She replied “But you had a great excuse!”, But Prince William’s wife, 40, wanted to be there at all costs. “I know, but still,” Kate said. “I thought ‘Maybe I could go’ but the doctors said ‘no’. I texted Andy Murray afterwards saying I was sorry I couldn’t be there but congratulations [gewünscht]’ revealed the Duchess of Cambridge.

Luckily Kate was able to be there three years later when Andy Murray won his second Wimbledon title.

Royal news of the past few weeks

Did you miss any news? Read last week’s Royal News here.

Source used: Our Wimbledon

aen
Gala

source site-16