Dynamo fans throw Pyro on the field: Kaiserslautern rises in Dresden’s cauldron

Dynamo fans throw Pyro on the field
Kaiserslautern rises in Dresden’s cauldron

The relegation between the 2nd Bundesliga and the 3rd League is extremely exciting right up to the last second. Because Dynamo Dresden did not score at home after the goalless first leg either, the Saxons are relegated. 1. FC Kaiserslautern is promoted after four years in third division. The Dynamo fans cause trouble afterwards.

In what ended up being a scandalous showdown, 1. FC Kaiserslautern made their long-awaited return to the second division perfect and shot Dynamo Dresden into the third division. The Red Devils won the relegation second leg at Zweitliga-16. with 2:0 (0:0) and celebrated the rise in the fourth attempt.

Daniel Hanslik (59′) and Philipp Hercher (90′ + 2′) scored the immensely important goals for the four-time champions from the Palatinate, who had drawn 0-0 in the first leg at Betzenberg four days earlier. FCK fans sang “Never again 3rd division” after the final whistle, while there was dead silence in Dresden’s K-Block. Shortly before, there was even a threat of the game being abandoned due to flying fireworks.

The long-time grandiose support in the Rudolf Harbig Stadium, which was filled with 30,530 spectators, did not help the Dresden team without a win in 2022 to avoid immediate relegation to the 3rd division. After the 2-0 in injury time, Dynamo fans threw numerous firecrackers on the pitch and caused an interruption of several minutes, and there were also two fires in the fan block. The teams stayed on the pitch during this break and discussed with referee Daniel Siebert, who decided against stopping the game.

Because of the problem fans in both fan camps, the police were on duty with over 1000 officers. The focus was on a strict separation of fans, also on arrival and departure. A police helicopter was deployed and, as a precaution, water cannons were also placed in the operational area. The city initially remained peaceful, but pyrotechnics were constantly being ignited in the stadium. A firecracker even flew from the FCK fan block to a spectator tier with Dresden supporters.

Hercher makes everything clear in stoppage time

The “loud atmosphere” is what “the boys need,” said Dynamo’s coach Guerino Capretti in advance. With the frenetic crowd behind them, Dresden wanted to take “a bigger risk” than in the first leg – but both teams initially implemented this plan. A racy duel developed with early chances for both sides. For the hosts, Christoph Daferner (11th) and the conspicuous Ransford-Yeboah Königsdörffer (14th, 45th) failed in the first half. At FCK Terrence Boyd (11th) and Philipp Hercher (26th) had the 1-0 on their feet.

Dresden, who had switched to a 4-2-3-1 system compared to the first leg, tried to control the game more. But the Lauterers held back with running and tackling strength and also looked for the way to the opposing goal. The first setback for Dynamo after half an hour: Midfield clearer Yannick Stark had to be substituted in tears because of an ankle injury.

Even after the change of sides, both teams fought doggedly for every centimeter, which meant that a lot fell by the wayside in terms of play. The guests were a little more dangerous offensively – and that was rewarded: After Boyd failed with a powerful header (58th), Hanslik did better a minute later and scored the lead with a low shot.

The hosts responded with furious attacks and shortly afterwards had a great chance to equalize through Patrick Weihrauch (63′). Shortly thereafter, Weihrauch also had to leave the pitch injured. Dynamo increased the pressure with every minute, FCK keeper Matheo Raab was more and more the focus. On the other side, Boyd (83rd) missed a huge chance to make it 2-0 in a hectic final phase before Hercher made everything clear.

source site-33