It was in the pipes for some time and the thing has finally become official. In July, most internet boxes will integrate a software interface that will allow for much more reliable and efficient speed tests.
What is the performance of our Internet connection ? When you ask yourself the question, the first thing that comes to mind is to perform a speed test, with the many tools that exist on the market. However, this method is not always effective. In particular because speed test tools do not really have access to various information related to the user’s environment. The thing is now corrected since this month of July, the boxes of the operators will add an API which will better “characterize” the environment of each one.
To make it clearer, speed test tools will now have access to several pieces of information. Particularly with regard to the type of box, the upload or download speeds or the technology (fiber, ADSL, etc.). At the same time, this API ensures that there is no “cross traffic”, ie traffic other than that measured.
Our internet boxes are ready to support reliable speed tests
Developed under the supervision of the telecoms policeman (Arcep), this brand new API should finally guarantee reliable and efficient speed tests. Operators with more than one million subscribers will also be required to offer the API with their box. At the same time, the user must authorize the speed test tools to access the API to provide him with reliable data.
Read also: internet box, what is the best fiber offer in 2022
Note that to benefit from these finally reliable speed tests, it will not be quite immediate. We will indeed have to wait some time for the first tools to be compatible. These should be ready by the end of the year.
Here is the list of boxes that integrate the API from July 2022:
For SFR boxes:
- SFR Box 8X Wi-Fi 6 FttH XGS-Pon (NB8 XGSPON)
- SFR Box 8 Wi-Fi 6 FttH Gpon (NB8 FTTH)
- SFR Box 8 Wi-Fi 6 Docsis (NB8 Docsis)
- SFR Box 8 Wi-Fi 6 xDSL (NB8 xDSL)
- SFR Box Plus or “SFR Box 7” Wi-Fi 5 FttH / xDSL (NB6VAC)
- THD AC Wi-Fi 5 modem Docsis ([email protected] 3686)
- The Box THD 4K or “The Box Fiber Zive” Wi-Fi 5 Docsis (the Box V3)
- The Box THD V2 or “The Box by Numericable V2” Wi-Fi 5 Docsis (the Box V2)
- Box Evolution VDSL or “Neufbox 6V” Wi-Fi 4 FttH / xDSL (NB6V and NB6V2)
- Box Evolution or “Neufbox 6” Wi-Fi 4 FttH / ADSL (NB6)
For Free boxes:
- Freebox Pop FttH / xDSL (Wi-Fi 5)
- Freebox Delta FttH / xDSL (Wi-Fi 6E)
- Freebox Delta FttH / xDSL (Wi-Fi 5)
- Freebox One FttH / xDSL (Wi-Fi 5)
- Freebox mini 4K FttH / xDSL (Wi-Fi 5)
- Freebox Revolution Wi-Fi 5 FttH / xDSL
- Freebox Revolution Wi-Fi 4 FttH / xDSL
For Orange boxes:
- Livebox v6 FttH (Wi-Fi 6E)
- Livebox v5 FttH (Wi-Fi 5)
- Livebox v4 FttH / xDSL (Wi-Fi 5)
For Bouygues Telecom boxes: