Monday 28 December 2020
Grand Slam record winner cancels
Australian Open for Federer burst
Tennis icon Roger Federer is postponing his comeback. After two operations, the 39-year-old does not feel ready for a major tournament. The Australian Open next February will therefore take place without Federer, explains his manager.
Grand Slam record winner Roger Federer will not take part in the Australian Open at the beginning of February due to a lack of training after two knee operations. The AP news agency reported, citing a statement by Federer's manager Tony Godsick.
"Roger has decided not to play the Australian Open in 2021," it said. The 39-year-old Swiss has made great strides in both his knees and his fitness in recent months. "Nevertheless, after consulting with his team, he decided that in the long term it would be the best decision for him to return to professional tennis after the Australian Open." A return to the tennis court is planned after the first major tennis tournament of the year, it said.
Federer was on the entry list for the Australian Open. In mid-December, however, the Swiss had already announced that participation could be tight. He is not yet at 100 percent. The start of the Australian Open had been postponed by three weeks to February 8th. This is to give all tennis professionals the opportunity to complete their two-week mandatory quarantine before entering Australia.
The announcement of Federer's withdrawal is a blow to the organizers of the Australian Open. Director Craig Tiley said Australia was looking forward to welcoming the world's best players to Melbourne. Melbourne and the state of Victoria have been Covid-19-free for almost two months.
In addition to world number one Novak Djokovic from Serbia and Ashleigh Barty from Australia, the entry list also includes Spaniard Rafael Nadal, winner of 20 Grand Slam titles, and Alexander Zverev from Hamburg. In the women and men, the entire world elite had reported.