He pleads “not guilty” at court
Harvey Weinstein has reported that he is “not guilty” on the rape and sexual assault charges.
Harvey Weinstein, 69, appeared in court in Los Angeles on Wednesday, July 21, as reported by CNN, among others. The fallen Hollywood mogul came into the courtroom in a wheelchair and let his lawyer speak for himself: He pleads “not guilty”. If convicted, he faces a prison sentence of up to 140 years.
Five women raise serious allegations against Harvey Weinstein
Five women accuse the 69-year-old in California. It concerns eleven cases of alleged sexual assault that are said to have occurred between 2004 and 2013. The public prosecutor’s office has brought charges of rape, among other things. Weinstein denies all allegations.
“He denies the allegations in this indictment,” said Weinstein’s attorney Mark Werksman, according to CNN again after the hearing on Wednesday. “They are unproven, implausible and unfounded.” Werksman has also sought a medical evaluation for Weinstein in court. The next court hearing is due to take place on July 29th.
In June, a New York judge approved the rendition to Los Angeles, which took place last Tuesday. The ex-film producer is serving a sentence in a maximum security prison in the city of Alden, Erie County, New York. He was sentenced to 23 years in prison last year. A jury found him guilty of sexual assault and rape.