27 alleged victims of film producer Harvey Weinstein (67) have founded a new Instagram channel under the name "Silence Breakers". With the account "_nolongersilent" the group wants to assist witnesses who testify in the process. The case against the 67-year-old, who is accused of serious sexual crimes, opened on January 6 and is expected to last two months, with the opening pleadings beginning on Wednesday.
"We are in solidarity with Annabelle Sciorra, Mimi Haleyi, Dawn Dunning and all women who will courageously testify in court against Harvey Weinstein," says the Instagram statement. "As of today, he will finally be forced to face his plaintiffs and face the consequences of his monstrous crimes." One wants to report on experiences until the "serial predator" gets its judgment.
Larissa Gomes, whom Weinstein sued for sexual harassment in 2018, said on the channel in particular: "I have been a Harvey-Weinstein survivor since 2001. Today I am stronger than I would have ever suspected," writes the actress. With her reports, she wants to work to ensure that future generations have "safer working conditions" and that laws are changed to prevent this.
The statement was commented on by the actresses Ashley Judd (51), Rosanna Arquette (60) and Rose McGowan (46) with "Like". They may be among the founders of the channel. At the start of the trial in early January, Arquette and McGowan had gathered with other women outside the Manhattan courthouse. More than 100 women accuse the producer of sexual assault or even rape, including stars such as Angelina Jolie (44) and Gwyneth Paltrow (47). Weinstein has so far rejected all allegations. If convicted, he faces a life sentence.