Italy: More than 50 arrests in crackdown on ‘Ndrangheta mafia







Photo credit © Reuters

MILAN (Reuters) – More than 50 people have been arrested in a new operation against the ‘Ndrangheta mafia, Italian police said in a statement on Friday.

The operation, which mobilized more than 400 agents, was led by prosecutor Nicola Gratteri, known for his investigations against the mafia.

Police said 38 people were detained, six under house arrest and eight others banned from leaving the towns where they live.

Several criminal activities have been linked to the ‘Ndrangheta mafia by investigators: large-scale drug trafficking, money laundering and extortion.

The ‘Ndrangheta, originally from Calabria in southern Italy, has surpassed Sicily’s Cosa Nostra to become the country’s most powerful mafia group and one of the largest criminal organizations in the world.

Earlier this year, Matteo Messina Denaro, considered one of the leaders of the Cosa Nostra, was arrested in Italy after 30 years on the run.

The ‘Ndrangheta had already been the target last May of a vast police operation led by Italy and Germany.

(Reporting by Alessia Pe; French version Zhifan Liu, edited by Blandine Hénault)











Reuters

©2023 Thomson Reuters, all rights reserved. Reuters content is the intellectual property of Thomson Reuters or its third party content providers. Any copying, republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Thomson Reuters. Thomson Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon. “Reuters” and the Reuters Logo are trademarks of Thomson Reuters and its affiliated companies.



Source link -87