An itchy scalp can be annoying. It is important to clarify the causes. We reveal first aid measures.
Itchy scalp – when itches and it doesn't leave us alone
If the scalp is itchy, our alarm bells will ring. Are they lice? The little beasts are not always behind when the scalp tortures us. Itching can also have completely different causes:
- a very dry scalp
- a skin fungus
- the wrong hair care
- a harmful styling routine
- Neurodermatitis or psoriasis
- hormonal fluctuations
- Sun damage
The causes of an itchy scalp
Those who have a lot to do with children are at higher risk of getting head lice. Head lice are in high season in schools and daycare centers in autumn and winter. It's easy to check whether the head itch is due to lice – plenty hair conditioner Spread on damp hair and then with a fine-toothed Lice comb comb out carefully. This way you can check whether there are lice or nits (the white eggs of the lice). If so, there is no need to panic: in the pharmacy there are now quick-acting lice sprays that kill the little crawlers in 10 minutes – purely physically with the help of oils. Important: The procedure should be repeated after eight days, because then the lice will hatch from the nits. Why do lice itch so much? It is not her crawling, we are allergic to the louse's saliva, which she releases when sucking.
2. A very dry scalp
Often the cause of the itch is a dry scalp. We always pay attention to our facial and body skin, but especially forget our scalp when caring for it. Instead, we even strain them daily with highly perfumed shampoos, styling products and high hair dryer temperatures. Important: Our scalp also wants gentle care that is good for you. She likes it:
- Do not wash your hair daily, that is not necessary at all – and even more counterproductive. The scalp greases faster if we clean it with foaming surfactants every day. Better: wash every two to three days, depending on your hair type. With gentle Shampoos, the little or no surfactants contain, are not perfumed and dispense with mineral oils, silicones and parabens. Even natural Hair soaps or washing clay can clean while protecting the scalp. We tried it: hair soap in the test.
- Some Shampoos are equipped with special active ingredients that are intended to soothe irritated scalp: Urea (can help dry scalp to retain more moisture), linoleic acid and Dead Sea salt, willow bark, heart seeds, avocado, wheat germ oil are then on the INCI list of shampoos.
- Also a micellar shampoo with reduced ingredients is an option: it cleans the skin with a different technique and pulls the dirt out of the hair with micelle technology. Also a mild baby shampoo can be an option: they usually contain no controversial ingredients such as aggressive ones Preservatives or artificial Fragrances. The situation is different for children's shampoos – with pink princesses and chewing gum scent …
- Do not wash hair with hot water – It removes lipids from the skin and dries them out.
- Do not wash too often, daily hair washing does not have to be. If you want to extend the time between washing your hair in a self-experiment, you can start slowly and then increase. We show you a few hairstyles for unwashed hair that you won't notice!
- Apply tinctures and hair tonic to soothe after shampooing.
- Don't blow dry too hot and don't hold the hair dryer too close to the scalp. Allowing the hair to air dry sometimes is also good for the hair structure.
- Apply sunscreen for hair. It is as important to the scalp as it is to the rest of the body.
Home remedies for dry, itchy scalp
- An oil cure is good: with Coconut, almond or jojoba oil do a hair treatment, leave on for 20 minutes and then rinse with gentle shampoo and lukewarm water.
- Also done quickly: a few Droplets of sunflower or olive oil Drizzle on hair with a pipette in the evening.
- A gentle head massage can help stimulate sebum production. Massage the scalp with a little oil (always pay attention to natural products) for 5 minutes.
- No Poo: What haunted the social media as a hashtag certainly makes sense. It doesn't have to be a one-year abstinence from washing, but taking a break from washing your hair more often can only be good for your scalp. (We already explained: That's why you shouldn't wash your hair anymore.)
- Important: If the itching is so severe that it no longer allows us to sleep, redness, swelling of the scalp, crusts or sticky spots and hair loss should occur Dermatologist take a look at the head.
Dry white scales are caused by a dry scalp. Here it helps to bring the skin on your head back into balance with the right care. Dandruff shampoos can help, they contain antifungals – these are active ingredients that fight certain microorganisms on the scalp. Their metabolic products irritate the skin and cause inflammation. She reacts with dandruff, redness and itching.
Yellow greasy scales can indicate a fungus, so-called seborrheic dermatitis (koofgneis) is mostly due to certain yeasts that over-colonize the skin. Here the dermatologist can help and prescribe an anti-fungal shampoo.
4. Skin fungus
Head fungi are transmitted from person to person and from animals to people. This causes nodular inflammation or a superficial irritation of the skin. Skin fungi are contagious and should be treated internally and externally with an anti-fungal agent for six to eight weeks.
Hair care and styling routine
Shampoos with overloaded lists of ingredients irritate the skin. Fragrances, preservatives, silicones, which are supposed to soften the hair, tensides, which create the beautiful foam, but dry the scalp – we are often to blame for the misery through our longing for clean, fragrant hair. It is not only important to choose a mild shampoo, the styling routine also plays a role. Never apply the conditioner to the scalp and pay attention to the ingredients. Foam setting, heat protection spray, hair gel and Co. must also be checked for their quality and generally reduced.
Hormonal fluctuations can cause an itchy scalp
Our skin dries with age. This also applies to the scalp. Therefore, we should also take into account the change in hair structure and scalp in our care routine. Special shampoos can also help with the lack of keratin formationthat wears off with age. Hyaluronic acid is also found in such special hair products, as are essential oils rich in amino acids such as argan, camellia, wheat germ or rice oil.
Some links in this article are commercial Affiliate links. We mark this with a shopping cart symbol. Further information are available here.