Juicing currants is not difficult, it only requires a little patience. We present three variants: with and without a juicer and with the Thermomix.
Juicing currants: the ingredients
- 1 kg currants (red or black)
- 150 ml water
- Gauze or pass cloth (available in the drugstore)
- 2 pots
Juicing currants – without a juicer
- First the berries wash, drain and detach from the panicles. For example, you can use a fork for this.
- Then cook the currants in a saucepan with the water until the fruits burst. This takes about 15 minutes. So that as little liquid as possible evaporates, you should juice the currants with the lid closed.
- Take the pot off the stove and puree the currants.
- Then you have to line a sieve with a cheesecloth and place it over a saucepan so that you can catch the currant juice. Now put the pulp in the cloth and best let it drain overnight.
- Finally you can still the currants wring out. For example, currant jelly or currant syrup can be made from the juice obtained.
Squeeze currants with the juicer
Alternatively, you can also use currants with a steam juicer or a berry or juice press to unmust. The steam juicer is a three-part construction: the fruits are placed in a sieve at the top, underneath there is a container that collects the juice. At the bottom a pot is filled with water and heated, The fruits are cooked softly by the rising steam and the currant juice flows off. The steam juicer is particularly suitable for large quantities of currants.
With a juicer (also called slow juicer) you can use the berries juicing cold – This ensures that as many vitamins as possible are preserved.
Juice currants with the Thermomix
You can also juice currants with the Thermomix. Put 500 grams of currants in the mixing bowl and chop them at level 6 for 5 seconds Add water and boil for 4 minutes at 100 ° C (level 1.5). Then puree the currants from levels 4 to 6 step by step for 20 seconds, press through a fine sieve and collect the currant juice.
With us you will find delicious currant recipes, for example for currant jam and currant cake. We also show you how to freeze currants.