Just saved – nearly deaf pensioner ignored fire alarm

That just ended well. In Neuhofen an der Krems, a pensioner did not realize that she was in great danger from smoke gases. And that despite the fact that the fire alarm had gone off and was already “annoying” the neighborhood.

A 26-year-old from Neuhofen an der Krems reported to the police by telephone shortly before 5 p.m. that the smoke detector in the apartment of his 70-year-old neighbor had been “alarming” for about 20 minutes. The police officers immediately drove to the apartment building and noticed the smell of burning in the stairwell. Even before the arrival of the fire brigade, the officials managed to get into the apartment using a key left in the key box in front of the apartment door. This was already heavily smoked. The officials looked and found the elderly woman in the living room – she was sitting in the armchair and had apparently already inhaled smoke gases. In the last few seconds, the police officers brought the pensioner outside. She came to the University Hospital in Linz with suspected smoke inhalation. The 70-year-old did not use hearing aids. The water must have evaporated, and the packaging and the food caught fire or began to glow in the empty pot. This led to heavy smoke in the apartment and the smoke detector being triggered. Because the hard-of-hearing pensioner had not used her hearing aids, she did not hear the acoustic alarm. The fire went out by itself.
source site-12