Make massage oil yourself
Quick and easy recipe
Time for a massage again? For your perfect moment of wellbeing, it is best to use your own massage oil. We’ll show you how you can make your own massage oil – in 3 easy steps!
Do you fancy a little wellness in your own home or a sensual massage? Regardless of whether it is a self-massage or with a partner: with a massage oil it will be a real pleasure. And you can do that yourself too!
Make massage oil yourself: the basic recipe
You can easily make your massage oil yourself. Here we have the right recipe that you can prepare individually with your favorite oil.
- 100 ml base oil (e.g. vegetable oil)
- about 10 drops of essential oil
- Dark bottle for filling
- Possibly funnel
Tip: Use a dark bottle for your massage oil, as light can make some oils rancid.
And so you can make your own massage oil
- Pour the base oil into the cleaned bottle, using a funnel if it makes sense.
- Then you drip the desired essential oil into the glass.
- Seal the jar and shake it vigorously once so that everything mixes well together.
durability: If stored in a dry and cool place, the massage oil can be kept for several months.
These oils are suitable for massage oils
You can use the base oil on its own. Or mix in natural essential oils that can have a positive effect on your mood and well-being. Should it be more sensual, invigorating or relaxing? We have a few popular suggestions for you!
Suitable base oils
- almond oil
- Coconut oil
- Jojoba oil
- Apricot kernel oil
- Grapeseed oil
- Evening primrose oil
- Wild rose oil
- olive oil
- sesame oil
- Moringa oil
- Avocado oil
Olive oil is very easy to spread and is also wonderfully suitable for dry and sensitive skin. Also make sure that the oils you choose match each other. Olive oil, for example, has a strong smell of its own, so be careful with the essential oil.
Almond oil is also suitable for sensitive skin, and it has an anti-inflammatory effect. Avocado oil is well tolerated and is said to promote cell regeneration in the skin. Do you have dry skin? Then it is best to use sesame oil, which is good for dry skin, provides it with moisture and strengthens the skin cells. Sesame oil also plays an important role as a massage oil in Ayurveda.
Attention: Some people are allergic to certain oils (e.g. avocado oil). Some oils can cause an allergic reaction even if they come into contact with the skin.
Essential oils for homemade massage oil
- Vanilla oil has an aphrodisiac effect
- Lavender oil has a calming and relaxing effect
- lemon oil has an invigorating effect
- Rose oil has a calming effect
- Thyme, rosemary and peppermint oils stimulate blood circulation
- Eucalyptus oil relaxes the muscles
- Ylang ylang oil invigorates and is mood-enhancing
Make massage oil yourself: you have to know that
- caution: Before you make your massage oil yourself, test the essential oil together with an oil for compatibility on an inconspicuous area of the skin, otherwise there is a risk of a allergic reaction consists. Attention:Essential oils must never be applied to the skin undiluted! For a compatibility test, apotheken-umschau.de recommends distributing a drop of the essential oil in a little fatty oil and then applying this to the inside of the elbow. If there is no irritation within 24 hours, the essential oil can be used as an ingredient in the massage oil.
- If you are pregnant you should be careful and seek advice from your doctor beforehand, as certain essential oils must not be used during pregnancy.
- So that there are enough active ingredients in oils, make sure that they are natural are. Also put on Organic products: This ensures that it does not contain any pesticides. You can find even more information and tips on the subject here: Essential oils and their effects.
- An alternative to the oils are dried flowers such as lavender and chamomile or herbs such as lemon balm and rosemary. For this, the oil should be prepared beforehand, because it has to stand for a few days so that the fragrance and effect can unfold. Important: store in the dark.
By the way: With essential oils and other few ingredients you can also make your own shampoo and shower gel! And everything about hand reflexology can be found here.
Sources used: utopia.de, apotheken-umschau.de