Sunday 15th August 2021
Militia advance from all sides
Taliban launch attack on Kabul
The capital Kabul is the last large city in Afghanistan that is not controlled by the Taliban. Now the radical Islamic militia is launching its attack. The rescue mission of the Bundeswehr for their local staff does not start until tomorrow.
After the conquest of Jalalabad, the radical Islamic Taliban launched their attack on the Afghan capital Kabul. As announced by the Afghan Interior Ministry, the Taliban fighters are attacking from all sides. Kabul is the last major city in the country that is not yet under the control of the Islamist militia. Residents on the outskirts of the capital told AFP news agency that Islamist fighters were in the city. A Taliban spokesman said the fighters had orders to stop at the city gates and not to advance into Kabul.
The Taliban had previously captured Jalalabad without a fight, and the governor of the capital of Nangarhar province surrendered, according to an Afghan official. It was the only way to protect the lives of civilians. Mazar-i-Sharif has also recently been controlled by the Taliban.
The attack on Kabul also increases the risk for local Bundeswehr personnel who have to fear retaliation. According to information from ntv, the federal government yesterday advised on a rescue operation to bring Germans and helpers to safety. As the “Bild” reports today, military transporters of the type A400M are to fly to Kabul tomorrow, Monday. In total, the campaign should involve up to 10,000 people.
Seehofer describes Afghanistan mission as “failed”
Over the past few years you have worked for the German Armed Forces, the Foreign Office, development aid and other German organizations, among others, and now you have to fear for your life: The Taliban, which is rapidly advancing on Kabul, have sworn revenge for you as “collaborators”. First helpers, including German media, have already been murdered.
The German Interior Minister Horst Seehofer has now declared the Bundeswehr’s mission to have failed. “The main goal was to improve the living conditions for the people and to bring stability to the country. Unfortunately, today we have to say: That failed.” In an interview with the “Augsburger Allgemeine”, the minister added: “That also affects me very personally.”
In spite of these findings, Seehofer defended the decision to deploy after the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. “There are developments in foreign policy that fail – despite the best motivation,” he says. “The motivation for the mission in Afghanistan was justified at the time.” One of the most important reasons was “loyalty to the Americans”. “But as a result, long-term use has failed after 20 years of relative stability,” said Seehofer.