myCANAL, to watch CANAL channels live and delayed on all your devices!
Release date :
Canal + Group
Operating system :
Android, Online service All Internet browsers, Windows, iOS iPhone / iPad
On Canal +, the new year begins with notes of emotion. With The Father and Gagarin, released just before the summer of 2021, the encrypted channel offers two very successful films, each in their own style, headed by three French filmmakers with a bright future, cocorico. January is also homecoming month for the series Weeds, broadcast at the start of the millennium on Canal + but which had since disappeared from French screens.
For the rest, we navigate between series already seen at OCS with Mare of Easttown, rather successful supernatural angst with The Invisible Man and the eagerly awaited return of two very different series: This is Us and Narvalo.
The event of the month: The Father, at the end of January
Released last May, The Father got everyone to agree. It is, however, the first feature film by Florian Zeller, a French playwright already acclaimed in the world of theater. For this first film, he adapted one of his most acclaimed plays to the screen. In the main role, that of an old man sinking slowly but surely in a dementia specific to Alzheimer’s patients, Anthony Hopkins. The actor, still at the top of the top of his past 80s, is simply overwhelming. This role also earned him his second Oscar for best actor, 30 years after that obtained for the role of Hannibal Lecter in Thesilenceofthelambs. Two rooms, two atmospheres, but still a breathtaking talent.
We are curious: Gagarin, on MyCanal on January 17th
Another first film, Gagarin went a little more unnoticed than The Father. In another style, however, it is just as captivating. We follow the adventures of Youri, a young inhabitant of the city of Gagarin, in Ivry-sur-Seine, dreaming of being a cosmonaut in his spare time. When he learns that the neighborhood is threatened with destruction, he will do everything to mobilize the other residents and save what can be saved. If the suburban film very often has its eye on social drama – this is the case here – this feature film by Fanny Liatard and Jérémy Trouilh allows itself much less agreed graphic ambitions. A style combining cosmic dreaminess and abundant imagination which has earned it the name “visual poem” by many critics. In short, a very good start.
We will (re) see with pleasure: Weeds, at the end of January
Broadcast on Jimmy and Canal + when it is released, Weeds returns to the latter after many years of absence from French screens. This comic series halfway between Desperate Housewives and breaking Bad had nevertheless received a very good critical and public reception when it was first broadcast. We follow the little life of Nancy Botwin, played by the impeccable Mary-Louise Parker, mother of a family without history who will start selling cannabis to her neighbors to make ends meet after the death of her husband, and this behind the backs of the rest of his family. Eight seasons followed a little uneven but with very endearing characters, which you will soon be able to devour on MyCanal.
And besides that ?
Unfortunately, not all of the end-of-month programs on MyCanal are known yet.
- The Boy Behind the Door, American TV movie – January 2
- The Alpinist, documentary – January 3
- This is Us, season 6 – from January 5
- Ghosts of war, War TV Movie – January 5
- Hannes, German drama based on a true story – January 6
- The Veteran, action film with the indefatigable Liam Neeson – January 7
- Ammonite, drama with Kate Winslet – January 7
- The extraordinary life of Louis Wain, biopic with Benedict Cumberbatch – January 7
- Vault: heist against the mafia, drama and robbery – January 10
- Hunted, Franco-Belgian-Irish thriller – January 11
- Dangerous, American thriller – January 12
- The Djinn, horror movie – January 12
- Invisible Man, fantasy thriller – January 14
- Fisherman’s friends, British comedy – January 16
- Sky High, Spanish thriller – January 16
- Tokyo Shaking, Franco-Belgian drama with Karin Viard – January 18
- Ray donovan, film concluding the series of the same name (also available on Canal +) – January 19
- Mare of Easttown, American series with Kate Winslet – January 20
- Enraged, thriller with Russel Crowe – January 21
- Narvalo, season 2 – during January
- Mandibles, comedy by Quentin Dupieux – during January