Ideal for a child’s birthday, this no-bake cake is also perfect to treat yourself in a week under the sign of stress. There is nothing wrong with doing yourself good!
This no-bake shortbread and chocolate cake brings back wonderful childhood memories to many of us. Already because chocolate cake is an absolute classic and it is almost all children’s birthdays. Then, because this version – a delicious combination of chocolate and cookies – and super easy to make and requires no baking? And therefore no possibility of missing it by leaving it too long – or not enough – in the oven.
Making this cake is not difficult at all. Firstly because it only contains a few ingredients and secondly because it does not need to be cooked. Therefore, this cake is perfect for beginners and it can easily be made with the family, or even by your children alone, who want to learn self-reliance in the kitchen. Here is the recipe for this no-bake chocolate cake and cookies in detail.
No-bake chocolate cake and cookies: the easy recipe
This dessert (or snack) is made very quickly, both in terms of preparation and resting time: it only requires a little time in the refrigerator, just for the chocolate to harden. Ideally, it is prepared a day before consumption. But we can also perfectly do it a few hours before consumption (on a Wednesday afternoon when there is no school for example). And, without cooking, it’s a perfect recipe to make with your child (ren).
Ingredients for the cake:
- 250 g rectangular shortbread cookies (to make yourself or to buy)
- 150 g dark chocolate
- 450 g of pastry milk chocolate
- 150 g of coconut oil
- 200 g whipped cream (to make yourself or in a spray)
- 2 sachets of vanilla sugar
You will also need:
The different stages of the preparation of the chocolate cake and cookies without baking:
1. Take your cake tin and line the bottom and edges with stretch film (the latter must protrude to fall back on top at the end of the preparation). This will allow the cake to completely unmold when removing it from the refrigerator.
2. Then roughly chop the two chocolates with a sharp knife and cut the frozen coconut oil into small pieces.
3. Melt the two together in a double boiler. Be careful, the chocolate must always be melted gently in a double boiler so that it does not burn. The best way to do this is to use a stainless steel bowl (here on Amazon) and place it in a pan with a lot of water.
4. When the chocolate is melted with the coconut oil, let the preparation cool a little then add the vanilla sugar and the whipped cream, stirring gently.
5. Now let’s go to the assembly of the cake. Take shortbread cookies, preferably rectangular for a nice result. This can be shortbreads (but a bit thick for some tastes) or homemade shortbread cookies. You are going to superimpose them little by little. First, pour a thin layer of the melted chocolate mixture into the bottom of the mold and smooth it out. Then place a layer of shortbread cookies on top. Then pour another layer of chocolate (try to have the same thickness each time for a homogeneous result). Place another layer of cookies and repeat this process until all the cookies are used up (or maximum level of the mold reached). Finish with a last layer of chocolate cream at the top and smooth it out well. Close the stretch film to protect the top layer.
6. Place the cake in its cake tin in the refrigerator for about six hours (or better: overnight) so the chocolate can harden.
7. Once the standing time has been respected, turn out the cake on a long dish and remove the cling film. To serve, cut the cake into even-sized slices. If you are making this cake for a children’s birthday party, you can decorate it with Smarties or colorful chocolate chips at the end for example. There is of course no limit to your creativity. Anything that is colored will stand out very well on the surface of dark chocolate. And it will only be better in the eyes of children!
Every day, aufeminin’s editorial staff addresses millions of women and supports them in all stages of their lives. The aufeminin editorial staff is made up of committed editors and …