Prince Andrew stripped of military titles


IIn the abuse scandal surrounding Prince Andrew, the noose around the Royal continues to tighten. His mother, Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II, stripped her son of all military ranks and royal patronage on Thursday, who is being sued for abuse allegations. Buckingham Palace said Andrew would defend himself as a private citizen in the US process and would no longer take on any public royal duties. The 61-year-old Andrew should no longer be allowed to use the usual royal salutation “His Royal Highness”, as the Guardian reports, citing insider sources.

Plaintiff Virginia Giuffre accuses Andrew of repeatedly sexually abusing her when she was a minor around 20 years ago. She claims to have previously been a victim of an abuse ring set up by Andrew’s former friend Jeffrey Epstein and his ex-partner Ghislaine Maxwell. Andrew categorically denies all allegations.

Until recently, the prince’s lawyers had hoped to nip the civil suit in the bud. But their objections were rejected by a New York court on Wednesday. If an out-of-court settlement is not reached, Andrew will face a lawsuit.

Without the support of his family, which the royal still had at least internally, the prince is now becoming increasingly lonely. Public opinion has long since turned against him. Andrew has resigned from his public duties as a member of the Royal Family since the allegations became known, but has retained his military ranks so far.

More than 150 British military veterans sent an open letter to the Queen on Thursday, calling on Prince Andrew to be relieved of his military roles because he had not lived up to the high standards of honorable behavior associated with them. “If this were any other senior military officer, there is no question that he would still be in office,” the letter said. Very few had expected how quickly the Queen would react.

Million payment could save Andrew

According to experts, only a million-dollar payment can save the Queen’s son from a scandalous court case. The prince otherwise has no good options, commented the well-known British media lawyer Mark Stephens. “The damage must be limited.” Stephens estimates that Andrew would have to offer Virginia Giuffre five to ten million pounds (six to twelve million euros) for an out-of-court settlement. The obstacle: “Ms. Giuffre will want her day in court.”

This is also made clear by one of the lawyers for the American. “It is very important to Virginia Giuffre that this matter be resolved in a way that brings justice to her and the other victims,” ​​David Boies told the BBC. But he left a back door open for an amicable settlement. The case is considered to be the most significant lawsuit against a member of the royal family in recent times.

Andrew is now not getting a penny of support from the royal family for his legal dispute. Nevertheless, he could have enough money for a settlement, as reported by The Sun newspaper. Accordingly, he wants to sell his chalet in the Swiss alpine town of Verbier and expects income of at least 15 million pounds.

First seen in public again

Andrew has long been a burden to the Queen and the Royal Family. According to experts, as the proceedings continue, his position will become increasingly untenable. Andrew is done, royal expert Phil Dampier told the Sun. He sees no way that Andrew will ever again appear publicly for the royal family, for example as part of the commemoration of the Falklands War 40 years ago, in which he served.

Media lawyer Stephens told the BBC that Judge Kaplan’s decision “dropped a bombshell in the middle and heart of the royal family” that could trigger a constitutional crisis. “The only thing he can do is take responsibility.” Legal expert Spencer Kalvin told the Sun a trial can raise the most intimate and humiliating questions.

Andrew was spotted briefly in public again on Thursday for the first time this year. The Sun and Daily Mail newspapers published photos showing the Queen’s son in the back seat of his car in the grounds of Windsor Castle. The prince seemed lost in thought. Ironically, on the 70th anniversary of Elizabeth’s accession to the throne, her son is at the center of the worst royal crisis in a long time. “Andrew needs to sort this out for his mother’s sake,” said royal expert Ingrid Seward.



Source link -68

Leave a Reply