The most important facts about his second day on the witness stand
Day two for Prince Harry on the witness stand at the London Court: the key facts at a glance in the civil lawsuit against the Mirror Group.
Day two for Prince Harry (38) in the witness stand of the Supreme Court in London: In the UK on Wednesday, all eyes were on the youngest son of King Charles (74), who is currently taking civil action against the media group Mirror Group Newspapers. Media such as the “Guardians” or “Sky” live from the courtroom. While Prince Harry had to face cross-examination by MGN lawyer Andrew Green at the beginning of the day of the trial, questioning by his own lawyer David Sherborne was scheduled for the afternoon.
Prince Harry on the witness stand: the most important facts on day two
In the courtroom, the terms “blagging” and “telephone hacking” are repeatedly used during interrogations. These are methods of illegally obtaining information that the journalists of the Mirror Group Newspapers are said to have used against the British Royal. Blagging is the obtaining of private or confidential information through a false identity or other type of deception.
“Telephone hacking” means, on the one hand, listening to voicemail messages. On the other hand, it can also mean that, for example, telephone calls are intercepted in order to overhear conversations. Prince Harry is currently in London trying to prove that much of the information that is in articles about him does not come from reputable sources but was obtained using methods such as tapping telephone conversations.
The Mirror Group Newspapers, on the other hand, tries to prove that the information in the articles was obtained lawfully and that no illegal methods were used. According to MGN lawyer Green, Prince Harry has no evidence that his phone has been hacked, the Guardian quotes. There would be no call data between Harry’s phone and that of a Mirror Group journalist. Harry countered that on the witness stand phone hacking had been carried out on an “industrial scale” by at least three newspapers. He would “feel unfair” if his lawsuit were dismissed.
Has the “Mirror” wiped out all traces?
When questioned by his own attorney, David Sherborne, Harry said he believed the journalists “went to an extreme effort” to “cover their tracks. According to him, disposable phones were used and call data was erased.
Many of the articles discussed on day two were again about Harry’s past girlfriends – with a focus on his relationship and breakup with childhood sweetheart Chelsy Davy (37). On the witness stand, Prince Harry said it was “distressing” for him, his ex-girlfriend and their young family to retell the events in court. Articles were also discussed that reported on Prince Harry’s military career and deployments.
Among other things, Prince Harry addressed the judge directly when discussing a story about a ban from service in Afghanistan. “All my life the press has misled me and covered up their wrongdoing,” the 38-year-old is quoted as saying. “Sitting here in the courtroom and knowing the defense has evidence in front of them and Green is saying I’m speculating…I just don’t know what to say.”
At the end of his long testimony on day two, Prince Harry reported on the witness stand of a dramatic chase by a paparazzi car. When asked by his lawyer how the paparazzi knew where he was, Harry said, “My entire security team, including my brother’s, suspected illegal activity.”
What happens if Prince Harry wins in court?
According to “Sky” coverage, Prince Harry could receive “very substantial” damages if he wins. “This is a truly historic event as royals prefer not to get involved in legal disputes,” said Steven Heffner, a leading media and privacy advocate. “If he wins, the damages are likely to be very high. The Mirror has made the mistake of going to court rather than settling a settlement before.”
That’s why Prince Harry is testifying in court in London
Prince Harry has filed a civil lawsuit against the Mirror Group Newspapers. This means that he does not have to present his complete memory of certain events in the courtroom, but is questioned about what he has previously stated in a long written testimony of 55 pages.
Specifically, the process is about 33 articles that were published in the “Daily Mirror” between 1996 and 2010. These are said to contain details obtained through phone hacking and other unlawful methods, according to the allegation. Prince Harry is one of several plaintiffs who accuse the publisher of illegally gathering information and have sued him for damages.