Roman Polanksi wanted to reverse his expulsion from the Oscar Academy. But a court has now rejected his claim.
The controversial director Roman Polanksi (87, "The Pianist") does not want to accept his expulsion from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and took legal action against it. Last Tuesday he suffered a defeat: a US judge confirmed the legality of his expulsion from the Oscar Academy two years ago. The US industry portal "Variety" reports.
Polanski was expelled from the academy in May 2018 on charges of sexual assault and thus violations of the ethical standards of the film association. In April 2019, the director sued the organization, accusing it of being expelled without warning or appropriate hearing. Judge Mary Strobel came to the conclusion that although the Academy could have warned Polanski in advance, the board of directors eventually corrected this mistake and gave him a fair hearing. The decision was therefore not made arbitrarily and is lawful based on the allegations against Polanksi.
Escape from the States
Polanski is said to have had illicit sex with a 13-year-old in 1977. He fled the States to France at that time and has not returned to this day. In November last year, the French actress Valentine Monnier (63) raised serious allegations against Polanski. She told the French newspaper "Le Parisien" that the director had raped her. At that time Monnier was 18 years old. The filmmaker vehemently rejects the allegations.