Cover image: NATALIA KOLESNIKOVA / AFP
- Russian air defenses shot down a drone approaching Moscow overnight, said early Saturday, August 26, the mayor of the capital, Sergei Sobyanin. According to initial information, there are no casualties or damage. Emergency services are on site “, he added.
- Russian investigators announced on Friday that they had recovered the bodies of the ten people who died in the crash of the plane carrying the boss of the Wagner Group, Evgueni Prigojine. “Molecular genetic analyzes are underway to establish their identity”said the Investigative Committee of the Russian Federation on Telegramwho added that the flight recorders of the plane that crashed on Wednesday “have been seized” and that’“a detailed examination of the premises [était] in progress “.
- Up to 10,000 Wagner Group mercenaries will be deployed in Belarus, Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has announced. “Wagner lived, Wagner is alive and Wagner will live in Belarus (…). Prigojine and I have already built a system organizing the presence of Wagner in our country”he said.
- Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed a decree requiring members of paramilitary formations to take an oath to Russia, as regular army soldiers do. By virtue of this decree, they must in particular swear “loyalty” And ” loyalty ” to Russia and “strictly follow the orders of commanders and superiors”.
- On his side, the Russian Volunteer Corps (RDK), which brings together Russian rebels welcomed into the Ukrainian armed forces and advocates armed struggle in Russia until the fall of Vladimir Putin, called on Wagner Group mercenaries to join its ranks.
- The spokesman for the Russian presidency denied on Friday that the Kremlin had ordered the death of Yevgeny Prigojine. “Around this plane crash and around the tragic deaths of passengers, including [celle d’]Yevgeny Prigozhin, there is a lot of speculation. Of course, in the West, all these speculations are presented from a well-known angle (…). It’s all an absolute lie.”, asserted Dmitry Peskov.
- The Wagner Group is ” broken “said Ukrainian Defense MinisterOleksii Reznikov, in an interview with the German Sunday weekly Welt am Sonntag. “There is no longer, strictly speaking, the Wagner Group as a serious troupe, as it was a year ago”said Mr. Reznikov, considering that the disappearance of Yevgeny Prigozhin had “weakened” Vladimir Poutine.
Find our live from Friday August 25 by clicking on this link.
Read all our articles, analyzes and reports on the war in Ukraine
Chat. Benoît Vitkine: “The message Putin is sending after Prigojine’s death is clear and will be well understood: silence in the ranks”
Grandstand. “Wagner’s evolution and Prigojine’s career are the logical emanation of Russian military failures in Ukraine”
Reporting. Ukraine celebrates its spirit of resistance in the face of a long-lasting war
Analysis. In Ukraine, the late transformation of the defense industry
Obituary. The Thousand Lives of Yevgeny Prigozhin
Narrative. The announcement of the death of Yevgueni Prigojine, a signal for the Russian elite
Facts. Vladimir Putin pays tribute to Yevgueni Prigojine, “a man with a complicated destiny”
Grandstand. Tatiana Kastouéva-Jean: “In the Putin system, we are a faithful puppet, or we are not”
Editorial. With the announced death of Evgueni Prigojine, the inevitable end of a Russian saga
Cards. Maps of the war in Ukraine, since the beginning of the Russian invasion, in February 2022