Cover image: Dmitry Serebryakov / AP
- Russian air defense destroyed a drone in Moscow that caused no damage or casualtiessaid the mayor of the Russian capital early Friday. “Last night, during an attempt to reach Moscow, the air defense forces destroyed a drone. The carcass of the drone fell back into the area of the Exhibition Center, and did not cause any significant damage to the building”said Sergei Sobyanin.
- Russia said it foiled Thursday, August 17 in the evening a Ukrainian attack carried out with a naval drone against its fleet present in the Black Sea, where the number of clashes has increased since Moscow’s withdrawal from the grain agreement in mid-July. THURSDAY “at 9:55 p.m. (French time), the Armed Forces of Ukraine carried out an unsuccessful attempt to attack (against) the boats of the Black Sea Fleet with an unmanned boat”said the Russian Ministry of Defense on the social network Telegram.
- The first ship, the Joseph-Schulte, party from Ukraine after the end of the grain agreement arrived in Turkish waters on Thursday evening, despite the Russian blockade, according to Marine Traffic Sites. The container ship Joseph Schulte left the Ukrainian port of Odessa on Wednesday.
- L’ukrainian air force warned on Thursday afternoon of a threat of air attack after a Mig-31K plane took off, capable of carrying the Kinjal hypersonic missile, in the Voronezh region of western Russia. All of Ukraine is affected by the threat, including kyiv and its region.
- The Azov regiment has been reconstituted and is in the field, in the Donetsk regionsaid the representative of the National Guard of Ukraine, Colonel Nikolai Urshalovich on the RBK-Ukraine channel.
- There martial law and the general mobilization in Ukraine were extended on Thursday, by decree of the President of Ukraine, Volodymyr Zelensky. They have been extended by ninety days, and now run until November 15, 2023.
- Ukraine will not be able to meet the seven criteria to start EU accession negotiations by Octoberacknowledged the Deputy Prime Minister for European and Euro-Atlantic Integration, Olga Stefanishyna, but hopes that discussions will still be possible.
- Ukraine announced on Thursday that it had received new German IRIS-T anti-aircraft systems to protect its skiesas its southern and eastern regions are increasingly targeted by Russian long-range strikes.
Find our live from Thursday August 17 by clicking on this link.
Read all our articles, analyzes and reports on the war in Ukraine
Analysis. The specter of the long war looms
Facts. Nicolas Sarkozy on Russia: a “terrible fault” for Julien Bayou, from ” common sense “ for Dmitry Medvedev, the former Russian president
Reporting. Being 15 in Kramatorsk: the trying daily life of Ukrainian teenagers in wartime
Editorial. Faced with a long war in Ukraine, we must hold on, in support of kyiv
Chronic. Jean-Pierre Filiu: against Ukraine, Russia’s game between Iran and the United Arab Emirates
Cards. Maps of the war in Ukraine, since the beginning of the Russian invasion, in February 2022