Swelling develops on your eyelid and pus accumulates? Then you could be affected by a barley grain. Which home remedies work against barley grain, you will find out here.
Home remedies for barley grain: What is a barley grain anyway?
- A barley grain (Hordeolum) is a small globule, which is located directly on the approach to your eyelashes. It is an inflammation of a sebaceous gland from the eye. This inflammation usually leads to swelling and accumulation of pus after a few days.
- The inflammation is usually triggered by an infection with bacteria(often staphylococci). Basically, the barley grain heals on its own after a few days, by no means should you express it.
- Barley grains can be contagious , so do not touch your eyes unnecessarily with your fingers. Also, wash your hands regularly so you do not spread the bacteria to someone else.
Home remedies for barley grain: Difference to hailstones
There are many different eye diseases. In contrast to the barley grain, the hail grain is not an inflammation , but the cellular waste of an already existing infection. A hailstone can therefore emerge from a hordeolum. The removal of the hailstone is therefore usually surgical by a doctor.
How is a barley grain made?
- Inner barley grain (Hordeolum internum): The inner barley grain is usually caused by an inflammation of the sebaceous glands in the eyelid. These glands provide fat for the tear fluid.
- Outer barley grain (Hordeolum externum): The outer barley grain is triggered by the minor glands (sweat production) or the Zeis glands (sebum production for hair and eyelashes), which are inflamed.
Symptoms of a barley grain
An infection with a barley grain is rarely dangerous , but it can still be unpleasant. If a barley grain spreads properly as an inflammation, it may well result in conjunctivitis . In this case, you should definitely go to the doctor for treatment at the first sign and do not try to treat the barley grain with home remedies.
The swelling on the eye can also cause pain , because the skin is very firm compared to the rest of the face and thus a higher pressure is generated.
A barley grain usually disappears on its own, but if you notice the following symptoms, you should consult a doctor directly:
- a headache
- Increased temperature / fever
- Swollen lymph nodes
- General malaise
Home remedies for barley grain: 4 practical tips
- Drinking: For every infection or inflammation, it is important to drink enough. Especially with a dry eye, you should provide yourself with at least two liters of water a day. Alternatively, you can also bet on tea or smoothies. That slimming with smoothies works, you’ll find out here.
- Compresses: With Quark you can perform effective compresses. Quark is a great food to treat a barley grain, as it naturally fights inflammation. Place some quark on a linen cloth and then apply it to the closed eyelid. There you leave it for about 10 minutes.
- Porridge: You can boil flaxseed with water (ratio 1: 2) to swell and then put the mash mixture into a linen bag for treatment and place on the eyelid several times a day. This should gradually remove the pus. Pay attention to a hygienic procedure in which you change the linen cloth for each new edition.
- Tea: You can dab the eyelid and pus with boiled chilled and slightly cooled chamomile tea and a cotton ball. In addition, you can also prepare a pad with black tea. Briefly pour the tea bag into the boiling water and then place the cooled bag on the eyelid for a few minutes.
How can I prevent?
So you do not even rely on home remedy for a barley grain due to the infection on the eye, you should take care of your immune system . A balanced diet is an important factor in your health. It is best to incorporate a few minutes of exercise into everyday life every day and to go out into the fresh air on a regular basis.
More tips to avoid a barley grain:
- Do not let the eye dry out
- When applying makeup very carefully and gently with the eye or eyelid handle
- Good hygiene (wash hands regularly, do not touch eyes)