After a shooting killed four people on Tuesday in a high school in Michigan (northern United States), the parents of the teenager who opened fire were charged on Friday (December 3) with manslaughter, announced the Oakland County Attorney Karen McDonald.
The young student, aged 15, “Is the one who entered high school and pulled the trigger”, corn “Other people contributed to this event, and I intend to hold them accountable”, she said, announcing the lawsuits against both parents.
The teenager’s father had notably bought the semi-automatic pistol used by his son a few days earlier. The local prosecutor had mentioned earlier this week a “Mountain of evidence online, on video or on social networks” showing that it was not “From an impulsive act”, but of an act “Totally premeditated”.
The teenager remains silent
The police also recovered from the accused’s cell phone a video recorded on Monday, in which he announced his intention to shoot students the next day, a plan he had also recorded in a diary found in his backpack.
In front of the police, the teenager remained silent. “He is not speaking to us for the moment”, his parents having told him “Not to speak to the police”, explained Michael McCabe, an Oxford police official.
Four high school students in this small Michigan town died, and six others were injured, along with a teacher. The shooter was arrested at the scene. He was indicted for “Terrorist act” and “Assassinations”. He risks life imprisonment because he is being prosecuted as if he were of legal age.