Cover image: UKRAINIAN MINISTRY OF DEFENSE / via REUTERS
- Since August 9, the date of the evacuation order decreed by the authorities, 1,433 people, including 343 children, have left the Kupiansk district in the Kharkiv oblast.. Russia has mustered nearly 110,000 troops along the Kupiansk-Lyman axis, according to Illia Yevlash, spokeswoman for the Ukrainian army’s eastern command.
- Russian forces thwarted new Ukrainian drone night attacks in Tula and Belgorod regions (West), said Moscow on Tuesday morning. The Ministry of Defense did not provide information on possible injuries or damage.
- A woman died and three others were injured in a shelling on Monday in Toretsk, Donetsk Oblastreported the Ukrainian prosecutor’s office.
- The death of Yevgeny Prigojine was confirmed by the Investigative Committee of the Russian Federation according to the conclusions of a genetic expertise. Russian civil aviation confirmed on Wednesday that Yevgeny Prigojine’s name was on the list.
- Warsaw and the Baltic countries demand that Belarus dismiss the Wagner Group. “We asked the regime [du président biélorusse Alexandre] Lukashenko to immediately expel the Wagner Group from Belarus”declared Mariusz Kaminski, the Polish Minister of the Interior, after a meeting with his Lithuanian, Latvian and Estonian counterparts.
- An attack on the village of Hoholeve in Poltava Oblast killed at least three people. According to the head of the Ukrainian presidency, Andriy Yermak, the attack was carried out by the « Russians [qui] launched a missile on the village of Hoholeve”he wrote on Telegram. Two other people were taken to hospital with “minor injuries” said the governor of the region.
- Russia claims to have deterred two US reconnaissance drones flying over the Black Sea. After the detection of these two devices, the Russian Ministry of Defense says it sent two hunters to repel American reconnaissance drones.
- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan ” Soon “ to Russia to discuss Ukrainian grain exports. According to a spokesperson for the presidential party, Mr. Erdogan “ took the initiative [de pourparlers pour la reprise de l’accord] to prevent the world from facing a food crisis. He will soon go to Sochi. We believe that new developments could take place after this visit”. No date has yet been communicated by the Turkish or Russian authorities concerning this visit.
- Robotyne released, says Ukrainian Deputy Defense Minister. The Ukrainian army has retaken from Russian forces the village of Robotyne, on the southern front, where Kiev forces have been carrying out a difficult offensive since mid-June, Hanna Maliar said on Monday: “Robotyne has been released (…). Our forces are advancing southeast of Robotyne and south of Mala Tokmatchka [où] the enemy suffers huge losses in these directions, but he tries to concentrate his forces there so as not to abandon his positions”she clarified.
- The FSB confirms the arrest of a Russian accused of having transmitted to Washington information on the conflict in Ukraine. The Russian Security Service (FSB) issued a statement confirming the arrest of Robert Chonov, a Russian citizen and former employee of the United States Consulate General in Vladivostok, accused of transmitting to the United States Embassy, located in Moscow, confidential information.
Find our live from Monday August 28 by clicking on this link.
Read all our articles, analyzes and reports on the war in Ukraine
Narrative. Behind the scenes of ‘STALKER 2’ from Ukrainian studio GSC Game World: ‘It’s more than a video game for us, it’s a Ukrainian national product’
Reporting. In Ukraine, families in search of their missing: “I continue to hope”
Facts. The death of Yevgueni Prigojine confirmed by the Russian investigation committee after the conclusions of a genetic expertise
Facts. Russia: Lionel Jospin accuses Nicolas Sarkozy of “serving the interests of an aggressor country”
Chat. Benoît Vitkine: “The message Putin is sending after Prigojine’s death is clear and will be well understood: silence in the ranks”
Grandstand. “Wagner’s evolution and Prigojine’s career are the logical emanation of Russian military failures in Ukraine”
Reporting. Ukraine celebrates its spirit of resistance in the face of a long-lasting war
Analysis. In Ukraine, the late transformation of the defense industry
Obituary. The Thousand Lives of Yevgeny Prigozhin
Cards. Maps of the war in Ukraine, since the beginning of the Russian invasion, in February 2022