Thousands storm the field: more than 120 dead after a soccer game in Indonesia

Thousands storm the field
More than 120 dead after soccer game in Indonesia

More than 120 people die in riots after a first division game in Indonesia. According to the authorities, 34 people die on the soccer field alone. More die in hospital.

According to the authorities, at least 129 people died in serious riots after a soccer match in the Indonesian province of East Java. Police used tear gas to disperse the rampaging fans, provincial police chief Nico Afinta said at a news conference. 34 people died on the field of Kanjuruhan Stadium, all others in hospitals, Afinta said, according to radio station Elshinta and station tvOne. He did not provide any information about the cause of the riots.

Thousands of people stormed the pitch after the game was over.

(Photo: AP)

The riots broke out after the first division game between Arema FC and Persebaya FC. After the 3-2 defeat in Malang, thousands of spectators stormed the pitch. Photos published on the tvOne website show, among other things, a completely destroyed car in the stadium. Further pictures show the storming of the square and clouds of smoke on the square and in the grandstands.

Two members of the police were also among the dead, said provincial police chief Afinta. Most people died from lack of oxygen. According to Afinta, around 180 people are still in clinics. The riots also damaged 13 vehicles, including ten police vehicles.

Football Association opens investigation

The Arema and Persebaya football clubs expressed their condolences to the victims and their families. “Arema FC expresses its sincere condolences for the disaster in Kanjuruhan. Arema FC’s management is also responsible for dealing with the victims, both dead and injured,” said club boss Abdul Haris. The club will set up a crisis center and a victim information center.

“To the families of the victims, the management of Arema FC sincerely apologizes and stands ready to provide compensation. The management stands ready to accept proposals on how to deal with the disaster so that many can be saved,” said Haris.

The Indonesian Football Association (PSSI) suspended play in the first division for a week. Arema were banned from playing home games for the remainder of the season. In addition, the association has set up an investigation team that is scheduled to start work on Sunday. “PSSI regrets the actions of Aremania supporters at Kanjuruhan Stadium. We apologize and apologize to the families of the victims and to everyone involved in the incident,” said federation chairman Mochamad Iriawan. The police will be assisted in the investigation.

source site-33