Minister Delegate for Transport Clément Beaune called on motorway companies on Wednesday to grant “a discount” to motorists during the summer holidays, at least equivalent to the 10% granted last year to those who paid with holiday vouchers.
“We are a few weeks away from the big departures on vacation which will take place from the end of June at the beginning of July, for many French people. We know we’re in a tough time, inflation, difficulties in purchasing power. And so I think (…) that, in this context, it is important that the motorway companies make a commercial gesturemake a reduction, a rebate, ”said Mr. Beaune on RTL.
A gesture equivalent to that of last year
The main motorway companies had granted a 10% reduction last summer on the journeys of holders of an electronic toll badge if they paid with holiday vouchers.
“I wish we had a gesture at least equivalent this year for families going on vacation by road” and that the measure be applied from the first departures and not in mid-July like last year, he said.
Mr. Beaune specified that he would discuss the “modalities” with the motorway companies next week. ” We need this gesture, it is my responsibility as Minister of Transport. I am not minister of motorway companies, I am minister of all French people who go on vacation and who also travel by car, “he noted, describing in passing as “demagogy” the proposal of the deputy LFI François Ruffin to make the highways free this summer.