Twice red, invalid dream goal: HSV pulls past Bremen in a wild north derby

Twice red, invalid dream goal

HSV pulls past Bremen in a wild north derby

After years of class difference, there is now a reunion between Hamburger SV and SV Werder Bremen – in the 2nd Bundesliga. The northern derby traditionally promises excitement. And it lasts too. Both teams finish the game decimated, plus there’s a lot of excitement and drama.

With the first derby win in more than five years, Hamburger SV has finally reported back in the 2nd Bundesliga and stopped the soaring of northern rivals Werder Bremen for the time being. HSV won a turbulent duel in Bremen’s Weserstadion 2-0 (2-0) and moved past Werder into fourth place in the table.

In front of 21,050 spectators in the stadium, which was sold out under Corona rules, Robert Glatzel (2nd minute) and Moritz Heyer (45th + 1) scored the hits for the guests in the first second division derby of both clubs. Both teams ended the game with ten players because Bremen’s Christian Groß (31st) and Hamburg’s Sebastian Schonlau (52nd) each saw yellow-red.

“Sometimes there are days when the ball just doesn’t go in. With a bit of luck, a better result would have been possible,” said Werder striker Marvin Ducksch at Sport1. Goalscorer Heyer was “abnormally” happy about the win at Sky, “although we could have solved some things better in a playful way”.

Big totally over motivated

The first north duel in three and a half years developed into a turbulent game from the start. The guests took the lead with the first chance. After a fine pass from Heyer, Glatzel headed against the still unorganized Bremer. Werder then reacted with furious attacks, but the home side became too hectic early on and played too uncontrollably. HSV made a more mature impression overall and after a little more than half an hour was still in the majority because Groß, completely over-motivated, straddled HSV goalkeeper Daniel Heuer Fernandes and rightly saw the yellow-red card.

If referee Sascha Stegemann was right with this decision, he made the wrong decision a little later from the Bremen perspective. HSV defense chief Schonlau had brought down Werder striker Marvin Ducksch in the penalty area, but the penalty whistle failed to materialize. The Weserstadion was finally raging, Werder coach Markus Anfang hopped up and down the sidelines completely beside himself.

When Stegemann failed to score a wonderful free-kick from Ducksch in the 42nd minute because Werder’s newcomer Mitchell Weiser had stood against the rules in the wall of the guests, the green-whites didn’t understand the world anymore. But Bremen had to cope with another blow in the neck before the break. In stoppage time of the first round, Heyer headed HSV to 2-0.

After the break, Werder tried to find their way back into the game. When HSV captain Schonlau also saw yellow and red, the Bremen team smelled the morning air again. But despite all efforts, Werder found no means for a long time against the stable HSV defense. Instead, Bakery Jatta failed to make the decision after just over an hour when he failed at Bremen goalkeeper Michael Zetterer. Substitute Niclas Füllkrug (74th, 77th) and Milos Veljkovic in stoppage time awarded twice for Werder.

source site