Ukraine war in the live ticker
+++ 04:44 Canada promises Ukraine help with demining +++
Canada has pledged EUR 10.5 million (C$15 million) to clear landmines in Ukraine. The aid included anti-bomb suits for Ukrainian deminers and advanced remote-controlled demining systems for large areas such as farmland to detect and defuse unexploded ordnance and other explosive remnants of war, the Canadian government said.
+++ 02:50 half of the Kyiv region remains without electricity +++
According to official figures, every second resident in the Kyiv region is still cut off from the energy supply after Russian rocket attacks. “About half of the region will be without electricity in the coming days,” writes Governor Oleksiy Kuleba on Telegram. Around 1.8 people live in the region, excluding the capital Kyiv. According to its own statements, Ukraine’s largest private energy supplier, DTEK, had to shut down a system due to damage caused by Monday’s attacks. The power plant has been the target of attacks 17 times in the past two months.
+++ 01:58 Amnesty sees older Ukrainians particularly at risk +++
According to the human rights organization Amnesty International, the elderly population of Ukraine is particularly at risk from Russian attacks. In a report, the organization writes that seniors are often left in destroyed homes or overburdened government shelters. “Many are left behind in regions where they are regularly endangered by relentless ground and air attacks,” it said. The reasons for this are manifold: some want to stay in their usual home, while others lack knowledge about evacuations. For others, the conditions in emergency shelters are obstacles – for example, because they are not designed for people with health impairments.
+++ 00:44 chief prosecutor of The Hague against special tribunal for Russia +++
The chief prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague, Karim Khan, speaks out against the establishment of a special tribunal to punish Russian crimes in Ukraine. This could “undermine” the work of the ICC, Khan warns. “We should avoid fragmentation and instead work towards unification.” He appealed to the international community to support and fund the ICC’s investigations. “We must not fail. We need the means to do our job. We don’t have the means,” Khan said. Russia does not recognize the ICC. While the court can investigate alleged war crimes and crimes against humanity in Ukraine, it cannot act against Moscow.
+++ 23:22 Lithuania interviews visa applicants from Russia and Belarus about the war +++
In Lithuania, Russians and Belarusians who apply for residence permits or visas in the NATO country will be asked their views on Russian aggression in Ukraine. They would have to fill out a questionnaire, which will have a significant impact on the decision on whether the person is allowed to stay in Lithuania, the migration authority in Vilnius said. Citizens of other countries can also be asked to fill out the questionnaire. Information on training, previous activities, military service, business relationships or contacts with authorities in NATO or non-EU countries is also requested.
+++ 22:28 video shows German Gepard tank in action +++
A video showing a German Gepard anti-aircraft tank in action has been circulating on social networks since today. The video is intended to show the Ukrainian military using it to shoot down a Russian missile. However, it is not clear when and where the video was taken, approximately at Telegram has been uploaded. Ukraine has received 30 Gepard tanks from Germany so far.
+++ 22:06 IOC maintains sanctions against Russia and Belarus +++
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) is sticking to its sanctions against Russia and Belarus, regardless of the upcoming qualifying competitions for the 2024 Summer Games in Paris. Now is not the time to lift the measures, says IOC spokesman Mark Adams. “The sanctions are still in force.” In February, with reference to the Ukraine war, the IOC instructed sports associations to exclude athletes from Russia and Belarus from competitions. He leaves open whether and when the exclusion could be lifted.
+++ 21:31 Zelenskyj confirms four dead after air raids +++
According to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, four people were killed by the Russian rocket attacks. “Unfortunately, there are victims,” he says in his daily video speech. According to their own statements, the air defense had shot down around 60 of 70 cruise missiles. “Every Russian missile launched is concrete proof that terrorism can be defeated,” Zelenskyj said. With the new wave of attacks, Russia has celebrated an anniversary, namely that of the signing of the Budapest Memorandum. In the document signed on December 5, 1994, Russia, Great Britain and the United States had jointly given Ukraine, Belarus and Kazakhstan security guarantees for their renunciation of all Soviet-era nuclear weapons on their territories. Among other things, the signatories pledged to respect the sovereignty and existing borders of the three ex-Soviet republics.
+++ 21:14 London: Ukraine liberates more than half of the territory occupied since the beginning of the war +++
The British Ministry of Defense tweeted that Ukraine had liberated around 54 percent of the territory that Russia has captured at its peak since the war began a good nine months ago. Russia currently controls about 18 percent of Ukraine’s territory – including the Donbass and Crimea regions, which have been under Russian control since 2014.
+++ 20:48 Putin extends restrictions on Western business people +++
Western entrepreneurs still need a special permit from the government in Russia in order to be able to sell their shares in large companies. This particularly affects the banking and energy sectors. According to the Interfax news agency, a corresponding decree passed by Kremlin chief Vladimir Putin in August will be extended by one year and will only expire on December 31, 2023. The regulation affects entrepreneurs from “unfriendly countries”, i.e. countries that have introduced sanctions against Russia. With the regulation, the Kremlin wants to prevent a mass exodus of Western companies.
+++ 20:28 nationwide Ukrainians have to expect power cuts +++
After renewed Russian rocket attacks, the Ukrainian energy supplier Ukrenergo warns of nationwide power cuts. Due to the consequences of the shelling and in order to “maintain the balance between electricity generation and consumption”, emergency shutdowns would be introduced in all regions of Ukraine, the state-owned electricity supplier Ukrenergo announced. Important infrastructure facilities would be supplied with electricity as a matter of priority.
You can read earlier developments in the Ukraine war here.