Last year Telegram announced an unlimited cloud storage feature for its messaging app. A few weeks later, the “Teledrive” app was born. The web service takes advantage of IM functionality and turns it into a standalone cloud storage service that you can access from your mobile phone or desktop computer. In the latest coffee break, I’ll tell you how it’s done!
The Teledrive app launched its public beta in November 2021, less than three months after Telegram announced its file storage feature had. In a nutshell: TeleDrive accesses the Messenger API to upload files to the user’s Telegram account. Of course you can also download and access them again. It all runs through an interface similar to services like Google Drive, Dropbox, Microsoft OneDrive, Apple iCloud and others.
Notice: Below I describe an unofficial implementation of a Telegram function that uses an official API of the app. It is possible that the Telegram developers will block access to it in the future. Therefore, I do not recommend you to use TeleDrive in mission-critical environments. However, files saved through the app’s interface can always be accessed through the regular Telegram app.
How to Use Telegram as Unlimited Cloud Storage
To use TeleDrive, you have to log in to the service with your Telegram account via the browser – works on both desktop and mobile phones. To do that:
- opens teledriveapp.com in your browser.
- Alternatively, the service also offers servers in Germany: ge.teledriveapp.com and in the USA us.teledriveapp.com.
- Taps Join Now.
- Enter the mobile number associated with your Telegram account and tap send code.
- Confirm the code sent to the Telegram app and tap Log in.
Depending on your phone and browser settings, the website offers the option to create a shortcut on the home screen. With this you can open TeleDrive as a pure web app without the menu bars of your browser.
TeleDrive features: media player, file sharing, drag & drop, and more
The TeleDrive web interface is still under development, but already offers some nice features:
- drag and dropto make it easier to upload files from the file manager
- Recording and uploading videos directly from the page – of course only after the necessary authorizations have been granted
- Options to filter by folders, images, videos, audios, documents and unknown files
- Access not only to your own files, but also to those shared by contacts
- media player, which is compatible with popular video and image formats
Another feature inherited from traditional cloud storage services is the ability to share and send files from the main interface. Both are available in Telegram by default, but TeleDrive adds the option to share files with a simple web link.
Remember that files uploaded with TeleDrive can be accessed via the ” Saved Messages ” in Telegram’s main contact list.
Alternative: Amazon Photos for Prime customers with unlimited storage
Although the storage space is unlimited, at least according to Telegram, the TeleDrive app limits daily bandwidth to 1.5 GB and uploads and downloads to a maximum of 2 GB. An annual subscription is required for unlimited use of the platform, which costs $10. The remaining costs are covered by corporate sponsors, but the TeleDrive developers announced plans to include advertising on the website.
Did you like this tip for sharing and accessing files on the web? What is your favorite cloud storage? Let us know your tips and suggestions in the comments below!