Whey is an often underrated dairy product. What benefits whey has and how to make it delicious, you will find out here.
Whey: What’s behind it?
- Like buttermilk, whey is a by-product of milk processing . More specifically, whey accumulates in the production of cheese because it is separated as a liquid from the cheese.
- A distinction is made between sweet whey and sour whey. Sweet whey is produced when milk Lab Lab, an enzyme from the calf’s stomach, is added to hard cheese production. The greenish liquid that is created is the so-called sweet whey.
- In the case of soft cheese, on the other hand, lactic acid bacteria are used, which provide sour whey as a by-product. Sweet whey and sour whey are equal in terms of vitamins, minerals ( micronutrients ) as well as calories. In the supermarket, there is rarely fresh whey due to its short shelf life , but it enhances dry solutions and concentrates.
Whey: nutritional values
Whey contains almost no fat, which explains the short shelf life. At the same time, with 26 calories, it is very low in calories and gives nutritionally conscious people a good alternative to milk.
- Calories: 26 kcal
- Protein: 0.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 5 g
- Fat: 0.2 g
Whey: What makes you so healthy?
Whey can play an important role in your diet , because the drink is healthy for the following reasons: As explained above, whey contains almost no fat and is very low in calories, but at the same time, whey consists of high-quality protein and many important nutrients .
- Vitamin B1
- Vitamin B2
Only people with lactose intolerance or problems with the digestion of milk protein should avoid whey.
Whey: good for losing weight?
- Due to the good nutritional value , whey is great as part of a diet to lose weight. The drink promotes , the digestive and dehydrates the body .
- But do not make the mistake and bet on an extreme whey diet. The whey contains many nutrients, but not enough to feed you completely. Such a diet would be too one-sided and long-term anyway to fail. However, replacing a meal with a whey drink allows you to easily implement the diet and put new stimuli to your body.
- Whey is sold nowadays predominantly in the form of powder , since it represents in the fitness scene as so-called Whey protein (whey) a popular nutritional supplement for the muscle building. The protein can be absorbed and digested very well by the body.
Whey: preparation / recipes
- Drinks: You can use whey as a base for a drink. Mix some fruit or yoghurt in the blender or simply in combination with a fruit juice.
- Taste carrier: Especially sweet whey is also ideal for flavoring soups or sauces tastefully.
- Desserts: If you like yoghurt or quark, add some whey to these products for a creamier and more aromatic taste.
Even plain yogurt or kefir can do well in your diet. Matching recipes can be found here.