Google is clarifying the mysterious disappearance of files on Google Drive, blaming the problem on the service’s desktop application. Although no definitive solution is available yet, Google offers tips for finding and avoiding losing your data while working on a fix.
Panic reigns among Google Drive users following the sudden disappearance of months or even years of data. Users have been severely impacted by this problem, some losing a few months while others say goodbye to two years of work.
Google investigated the issue and revealed the desktop version of Google Drive which is the cause of the bug. The firm propose a solution to resolve the synchronization problem causing files to disappear on Drive for desktop. However, its implementation is not the simplest.
How to recover your missing files from Google Drive
If you are affected by this missing files problem, download and launch the latest version of Google Drive for Windows or macOS. Use the detailed process application recovery which follows this article to be able to find your files.
In case of problemGoogle offers troubleshooting solutions and encourages users to provide feedback via the Drive for Desktop app. Although the incident affected a “small portion” of version 84 users, Google hopes that this solution will allow its users to recover their missing files.
The detailed process:
- Download the latest version of Drive for Desktop (version 188.8.131.52 or later)
- Open the app
- Press and hold Shift key pressed and click Settings
- Then click on Recover from backups
- The recovery of your files will begin. Then, a notification will appear: Lrecovery has begun Or No backups found
- When the backup has been found, you will receive a notification again: Recovery is complete Or Not enough disk space.
- If you don’t have enough disk space, delete files or select a volume with enough space for recovery
- At the end of the process, a new folder called Google Drive Recovery will appear on your volume containing the unsynced files.