In Ausseerland – the search for an 81-year-old will continue tomorrow

A major search operation ran throughout the day in Ausseerland: An 81-year-old man has been missing since Monday while hiking in the Trisselwand area. Only his car could be found. In the evening, the search with 50 mountain rescuers and two helicopters from the armed forces and police had to be aborted without result, but it will continue tomorrow.

The 81-year-old from the Liezen district left his house yesterday at around 2.30 p.m. According to his wife, he wanted to go for a walk or a short hike. However, he did not return from this until the evening hours, whereupon his wife filed a notice of departure at around 7 p.m.

Around two hours later, the emergency services found the Upper Styrian’s vehicle in a parking lot in the Tressensattel area (Grundlsee municipality). Around 20 rescue workers from the Ausseerland mountain rescue team and a police helicopter from Salzburg searched for the 81-year-old until after midnight – unfortunately without success.

Area alarm of the mountain rescue
An area alarm was triggered by the mountain rescue team on Tuesday. Around 50 mountain rescuers from Ausseerland, Bad Mitterndorf, Tauplitz and Stainach then continued their search. The avalanche and search dog squadron, two helicopters from the police and the armed forces and a police drone equipped with a thermal imaging camera were also used in the rough terrain. Numerous fire brigades in the Ausseerland also offered support.

Search had to be canceled
In the late evening hours, the helpers had to break off the search again, despite their best efforts, in the dark and in the rain. There is still no trace of the 81-year-old.

A continuation of the search is planned for tomorrow. In all probability, a scheduled exercise with numerous police service dogs will be relocated to the search area without further ado. Together with dog handlers, mountain rescuers and the alpine police, the search for the Upper Styrian is continued.

source site