CONTAGION – Main accused at the trial of the attacks of November 13, 2015 and imprisoned in Fleury-Mérogis prison, Salah Abdeslam tested positive for Covid-19 on Monday.
MG with AFP –
Even the most closely watched prisoner in France is not immune to Covid-19. Incarcerated in Fleury-Merogis prison, in the south of Paris, as the main suspect in the attacks of November 13, 2015, Salah Abdeslam tested positive for the virus on Monday. The state of health of the captive does not inspire concern at this stage, according to our colleagues at franceinfo. Note, however, that if the Franco-Belgian terrorist tests positive next week and cannot attend the resumption of the hearing scheduled for January 4, 2022, his lawyers may request a postponement. Asked by AFP to know if a postponement would be requested, one of Salah Abdeslam’s lawyers, Me Olivia Ronen, did not respond immediately.
In this prison, 21 cases had been identified as of December 24. A screening should be organized Wednesday and Thursday in the building where Abdeslam is detained, we told LCI.
All the info on
France affected by a fifth wave of Covid-19
The only survivor of the jihadist commandos which left 130 dead and hundreds wounded in Paris and Saint-Denis, is being held for the duration of the hearing in Fleury-Mérogis prison, in the south of Paris. He is imprisoned under the very strict regime of solitary confinement, alone in a cell equipped with a video surveillance device operating 24 hours a day.
The penitentiary establishment in the Paris region, the largest in Europe, is currently affected by a cluster. A total of 21 detainees were positive for Covid-19 as of December 24, the Chancellery said.
- Trial of November 13: sister of terrorist Samy Amimour says she is “ashamed” to bear this name
- Attacks of November 13: in front of the court, Salah Abdeslam describes himself as “someone nice, calm”
According to our information, 370 detainees were detected positive for Covid-19 on December 27, out of 70,000 detainees in France, an incidence rate of 0.4. A large cluster has been identified at the Perpignan remand center (84 cases).
The November 13 trial, which opened last September, is due to resume on January 4 after a two-week hiatus. The special assize court is trying a total of 20 defendants, including 14 present at the hearing, suspected of being involved to varying degrees in the preparation of the deadliest jihadist attacks ever perpetrated in France.
On the same subject
The most read articles
Has François-Xavier Lescure been paid by Pfizer as adviser to Olivier Véran?
Epstein case: Ghislaine Maxwell convicted of sex crimes by a New York court
Mask mandatory outside almost everywhere in Île-de-France from this Friday
Covid-19: these cities where wearing a mask is (or will become) mandatory outside
LIVE – More than 6.8 million Covid-19 tests in Christmas week, a record
defends the ambition of information
verified and accessible to all thanks to the income of the
To help us maintain this free service you can “change your choice” and accept all cookies.
MODIFY AND ACCEPT ALL