Why does the washing machine stink?
A musty smell from the Washing machine is usually transferred to the washed laundry. Since nobody likes musty clothes, we have to do something about the smell. But where does the smell actually come from?
- If the washing machine stinks, it can Rubber seal be the reason for it. Hair, residual water and detergent residues often collect on the rubber seal. The heat creates bacteria and mold in the machine – and therefore musty smells.
- Also in Fluff filter, in the drum and in the Hoses animal hair, lint and residues of detergent get caught. Bacteria also accumulate here and mold can develop. The result: the washing machine and the laundry stink in it – no washing again helps here either.
- By a washing temperature too low or generally due to infrequent boil washing, we not only do not clean the laundry properly, but germs are also left in the drum. The result is a musty smell. Do you actually know at what degree you should wash your towels? You can find out here: wash towels.
- Also the Detergent drawer can be the reason for a musty smell. Bacteria are created by residues of detergent in the detergent compartment or by residues of fabric softener in the fabric softener compartment.
Washing machine stinks: How can I prevent the smell?
- Clean the detergent drawer: After each wash, the door of the washing machine and the detergent drawer should be left open so that the residual moisture can evaporate. Even better: dry the door seals and residual water with a rag.
- Cooking linen: If you have not switched on hot laundry for a long time, you should occasionally switch on an empty washing machine at 90 degrees or in the cooking program. So bacteria don't stand a chance.
- Cleaning the fluff filter: Clean the lint filter regularly and dry thoroughly.
- Descale the washing machine: Limescale spots can appear at all points that come into contact with water – even in washing machines. That is why regular descaling is important. A useful home remedy is vinegar, for example. This also kills germs and bacteria. By the way, vinegar also helps when cleaning tiles and descaling.
- Check drain pump: The drain pump should be checked regularly. If the pump leaks and water accumulates on the floor unnoticed, odors are inevitable.
Washing machine stinks: what can I do about the smell?
If preventive measures are disregarded for a while, the washing machine smells. But don't panic: In the video above you can see a trick that you can use to quickly solve the problem.
You can find out what household remedies you can use to get your washing machines odor-free again here: Clean the washing machine. Looking for more household tips? We reveal how you can remove deodorant stains and have tips against unpleasant smells, for example if the fridge stinks or the dishwasher stinks.