Cover image: AFP PHOTO / HO / SEPAH NEWS
- According to the British organization Conflict Armament Research, which investigates weapons components, Russia has started to manufacture its own Iranian Shahed drones. According to the researchers, Moscow will probably be able to produce new drones fairly quickly.
- Two Ukrainian missile attacks were foiled on Saturday over the strategic Kerch bridge that connects Russia to the annexed Crimean peninsula, announced the local authorities and the Russian army. Russian air defenses shot down the missiles twice. Russian forces interrupted road traffic and set up a smoke screen without the damage being able to be assessed.
- The Russian army also claimed on Saturday that it destroyed a Ukrainian drone over the Russian region of Belgorod. The device was aimed facilities on the territory of the Russian Federation”, said the Ministry of Defense without giving further details on the targeted location.
- 174,000 km2 of Ukrainian territory “are potentially dangerous because of mines and unexploded ordnance”said Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky on Saturday evening. “Every day, our specialists detect hundreds of explosive objects”said the Head of State, who is asking international partners for additional equipment to speed up the demining of the territory.
- A 73-year-old woman died on Saturday morning after a residential building was bombed in Kupiansk-Vuzlovyin Kharkiv Oblast, eastern Ukraine; and a policeman was killed by a “guided aerial bomb Saturday morning also in Orikhiv, a town in Zaporizhia Oblast, southeast Ukraine.
- Polish defense minister says his country has significantly increased the number of troops protecting its border with Belarus, in the face of actions “destabilizers” of his neighbour. Poland plans to eventually deploy some 10,000 troops to protect its eastern border.
Find our live from Saturday August 12 by clicking on this link.
Read all our articles, analyzes and reports on the war in Ukraine
Grandstand. Philip Colley, great-nephew of journalist Gareth Jones: ‘My great-uncle’s legacy must be preserved, but not at the expense of the truth’
Facts. Volodymyr Zelensky decapitates the soldiers’ recruiting service
Reporting. “We are preparing for the great battle”: around Bakhmout, the difficult counter-offensive of Ukrainian soldiers
Investigation. The Ghost Fleet: Investigating Russia’s New Oil Routes
Editorial. The effectiveness of sanctions against Russia in question
Cards. Maps of the war in Ukraine, since the Russian invasion of February 2022