The breastfeeding pillow is one of the essential accessories to adopt from pregnancy and after the birth of baby, and for several years! It supports the body of mothers on a daily basis, and helps to support the newborn during breastfeeding or bottle feeding. Here are the 5 best breastfeeding pillows and our advice on how to choose one.
The nursing pillow is one of the essential accessories to adopt during pregnancy and during the first months of baby's life. It is a kind of soft pillow designed to accompany the mother during pregnancy and when breastfeeding newborns. The arch shape or “banana”Guarantees undeniable comfort and an ergonomic position, which is very appreciable during this period!
> During pregnancy : the cushion allows pregnant women to relieve back muscle pain (lumbar, vertebrae, shoulders etc.) or elevate the legs in case of slow blood circulation, during the day or at night.
> After birth : the cushion will accompany baby's feedings, it offers parents additional comfort during breastfeeding (breast or bottle). It also provides an ergonomic position for baby, thus facilitating digestion.
Here are the 5 best breastfeeding pillows and our tips to help you choose one.
1 – Ergonomic breastfeeding pillow from MODULIT
Available in several colors on:
Modulit is a 100% French brand created by Natal Baby, from design to manufacture in Angers. These breastfeeding pillows were designed with the support and advice of osteopaths and midwives, they are used in many maternity hospitals in France and abroad! The ultra healthy composition of the cushions and their softness won us over, and at this price it is very appreciable.
- Fabric composition of the cover: 100% organic cotton
- French made (factory in Angers)
- Oeko Tex Standard 100 certification
- Filling : polystyrene microbeads guaranteed without BPA or phthalates
- Closing by fabric ties: convertible into a pouf and easily removable
- Position of the cushion: folded or unfolded lengthwise
- Machine washable cover and cushion
- Dimensions: 180cm x 40cm x 15 cm
- Weight: 2kg
Our opinion : Modulit's body pillows have been developed with specialist health professionals to best meet the needs of moms, dads and newborns. A real heart stroke for this model which meets our criteria of requirements: more than positive opinions, an irreproachable quality, delicate colors and a 100% French manufacture with pros of childcare!
More info on Modulit brand products
2 – Doomoo nursing pillow – BABYMOOV
Available on :
The Doomoo breastfeeding pillow is the ally of mothers looking for comfortable support during pregnancy and a supportive pillow for breastfeeding. With a very good value for money and ultra positive feedback, the Babymoov cushion has already won over many parents.
- Composition: 95% organic cotton + 5% elastane
- Filling: polystyrene microbeads
- Refillable garnish (microbeads sold separately)
- Oeko-tex certified and organic cotton (GOTS)
- Cover machine washable at 30 ° C (not suitable for tumble dryer)
- Use during pregnancy and for breastfeeding
- Cushion dimensions: 74 x 39 x 17 cm
Our opinion : Multi-use and scalable, the Doomoo cushion accompanies the mother during pregnancy and baby's feedings from birth. Before the baby arrives, it comes to relieve the back, elevate heavy legs or serve as a comfortable support at any time of the day and night. It will then be perfect for breastfeeding, so as to support baby while you breastfeed or bottle, and at the right height!
More info about the Babymoov maternity pillow
3 – Big Flopsy Cotton Flower Nursing Pillow – RED CASTLE
Available on :
The Big Flopsy by Red Castle is one of the best-selling and most loved pillows by parents. The French company offers several childcare accessories, focused on the comfort of parents and baby. This 100% organic cotton maternity cushion will bring softness and well-being during pregnancy and after childbirth.
- Composition : cotton flower cover
- French fabric
- Filling : light, non-toxic and odorless micro-pearls
- Product labeled Standard 100 OEKO-TEX
- Machine washable cover and cushion (30 ° C / 40 ° C)
- Weight: 1.4kg
- Dimensions: L 170 cm
Our opinion : a large format model to use at home for guaranteed comfort positions. A little stiff during the first uses, it becomes more flexible and soft over time. It will be very useful for propping up baby on the sofa, supporting the lower back in case of pain, or raising the legs at night. Pastel colors are elegant and soft. Be careful, dads may sting you!
More info on Red Castle maternity pillows
4 – Multirelax nursing pillow – CANDIDE
Available on :
The Candide company is a pure French production, since the factory is based in Angers. Dedicated to childcare and what surrounds parenthood, the brand also offers maternity cushions. The Multirelax cushion provides comfort and support during pregnancy as well as during breastfeeding; it can be used as a cocoon to lay baby down thanks to the attachment loop.
- Polycotton nursing pillow
- Convertible into a deckchair thanks to the central attachment
- Fabric composition: 70% cotton / 30% polyester
- Panty fabric: 100% cotton
- Filling: 100% polystyrene
- Dimensions: 69 cm x 39 cm x 14 cm
Our opinion : A multifunction cushion that will serve as a relaxation pillow during the duration of pregnancy and support during the first months of baby's life. Made in France, the padding makes no noise and remains flexible in a durable way. The snap-on straps allow baby to be installed in a recliner position, without the risk of tipping to one side or the other. Safety, comfort and softness, and validated by parents!
More info on Candide's Multirelax cushions
5 – Alpha XXL nursing pillow – NIIMO
Available on :
A large format model designed for mothers who want to be able to lie down full length and make any position pleasant. The Alpha XXL cushion by Niimo is compatible with all covers in the range, in order to change color and fabric depending on the season.
- Padding: polyester silicone fibers
- High quality soft cotton cover: anti mite and hypoallergenic
- Closing with a discreet zip
- Removable and washable pillowcase at 30 ° C
- Dimensions: 44cm x 29.6cm x 23.4cm
- Weight: 1.42 Kg
Our opinion : an ultra-comfortable model to be placed in bed during moments of relaxation, on the sofa to support the lower back or at shoulder level. Once baby arrives, it will be the ideal support for breastfeeding without stiffness.
See also a red heart cover:
Cushion cover Alpha XXL – Niimo:
Available on :
6 – Boppy nursing pillow – CHICCO
Available on :
Compact and less bulky than other models, this Chicco nursing pillow will be perfect during feeding and can be taken in the car, since it takes up relatively little space. This Boppy nursing pillow
- Comfort cotton cover
- Soft "miracle middle insert" fiber insert
- Compact ergonomic shape
- Removable and machine washable and compatible with the dryer
- Dimensions: 15cm x 48cm x 52cm
- Weight: 980 grams
Our opinion : Practical to take everywhere, this comfortable cushion will be used as much during breastfeeding as for the first months of baby, as a means of support and awakening! The Boppy is machine washable and tumble dryer, and the cotton cover is interchangeable with all the brand's colors.
More info on the Boppy cushion by Chicco
Our advice before buying a breastfeeding pillow
The breastfeeding pillow, also called a body pillow or pregnancy pillow, is one of the essential accessories during and after pregnancy. Versatile and multi-use, it is one of the very useful comfort products!
During pregnancy :
– Relieve pain due to baby's weight: as a support under the back for example (low back pain, sciatica, fatigue in the neck, etc.)
– Elevate the legs: improve blood circulation and venous return (at night or during the day to relax)
– Serve as an extra pillow to make the different positions more comfortable
Support during birth preparation sessions
– Support baby's body during breastfeeding: avoids pain in the arms or uncomfortable postures
– Facilitate the digestion of the newborn by tilting the pillow
– In case of cesarean section, it allows to give the bottle or the breast to baby without pressing on the scar
– Breastfeed or bottle-feed twins at the same time
– Lay baby in a comfortable position: by wedging him on each side of the body by the pillow, to prevent him from tipping over.
Size and shape:
– For home use only, it is possible to choose a large and very soft cushion, which will be all the more comfortable.
– For nomadic use, in the car or on a trip, it will be better to favor a compact model, so as to be able to transport it easily and without hindrance.
The type of padding:
Among the materials composing the inside of the cushions are polystyrene, cork or spelled microbeads, but also mixed mixtures. The polystyrene and cork microbeads make no noise when moving, and are economical components. Padding made from natural materials is more expensive, but very comfortable and environmentally friendly. Cereal-based fillings are often organic and / or certified by quality labels. Be careful though, they can be heavy and noisy at the slightest movement!
The closure :
A nursing pillow is usually closed with fasteners or buttons at the ends.
The maintenance method: who says breastfeeding pillow also means risk of stains. A removable and easy-to-wash cushion will be much more practical on a daily basis: to clean it but also to change the cover over the seasons and temperatures. Ideally, the possibility of washing at high temperature will kill all small microbes and bacteria (at 60 ° C).
The price : Maternity cushions are on sale from around 35 euros for the low prices to over a hundred euros for the more upscale.
A matter of taste which depends only on the parents. If you have to keep it for several years, choose a model that you like! In addition to this, you need to know more about it.
Most breastfeeding pillows are machine washable, especially the removable covers.
– Remember to wash the cover before using it for the first time and regularly enough to avoid unpleasant odors and germs.
– If possible, machine the cover at 60 ° C to kill bacteria.
– Let the cushion and cover air dry (the dryer is strongly discouraged)
To read also on aufeminin:
Insomnia and pregnancy: how to sleep better while pregnant?
These little tips that make breastfeeding easier
14 products specially designed to make life easier for expectant mothers